Tips for very large group photo.

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The office has asked that I take a project photo. There will be roughly 150-200 people. I'm almost certain that I can not shoot them even on a ladder. I will have to get on the second story balcony and shoot down. Either that or try a panarama shot post processed in elements.

The shoot will be outdoors around 9 am central time which puts the light at a 45 degree angle behind the group. My plan was to use 2 flashes on reflective umbrellas controlled with pocketwizards. I was going to use my 24-70 at at least an f8 probably more like an f11.

Any advice??? Kinda freakin out about the large size of the group.

Two speedlights won't have sufficient power for that type of a shot. You don't say what size umbrellas, but even 60 inch umbrellas would be on the small size for that kind of shot.
Plus you would likely need to get the umbrellas up 10 feet or more so people don't cast shadows behind them.
A good location for that type of shot would put the subjects on a slope such that the people further away from the camera are higher.

With the camera 30 feet from the point of focus, the total DOF when using 24 mm @ f/2.8 for a 1.6x crop sensor camera would be 185 feet - from 13.8 feet in front of the point of focus to 171.2 feet behind the point of focus. Online Depth of Field Calculator
Consequently, you probably don't need to use a lens aperture as small as f/8 or f/11, but you do need to be careful with where your point of focus is.

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for the tips. Ill try to scout a location with some slope.

What would u recommend regarding height. Get on second story and look down or get on ladder and panorama?

Well i scouted a spot this morning for the shot. Ive decided to shoot it from across a small pond there are large stairs on both sides that will allow me to get a little higher and also stagger the people. Ill have to use my 70-300 but im only zooming to about 150. That allows me to get roughly 10-15 wide if need me and 2-3 rows deep on each level. Sun will be low and in front so lighting should be okay.

Well i scouted a spot this morning for the shot. Ive decided to shoot it from across a small pond there are large stairs on both sides that will allow me to get a little higher and also stagger the people. Ill have to use my 70-300 but im only zooming to about 150. That allows me to get roughly 10-15 wide if need me and 2-3 rows deep on each level. Sun will be low and in front so lighting should be okay.

That sounds much more workable. You don't want them squinting when they look into the sun... ideally a cloudy or partly cloudy day would be a big help as not only would it solve the squinting problem, it'll provide much softer/diffuse light (you can gently "warm" the white balance and it won't look like a cloudy day.)

Weather man is saying overcast which is what im hoping for. My largest concern is being that far back and people looking small. Not sure my options when shooting 100-200 people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back