Tips Make-up Photography?

viviansungg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Untitled-2a.jpg

This is the picture make-up before after of my friend, actually I want it to be sharp and the detail on make-up can be sharp. I don't know how to do it. I use one flash and I took it on the room. I need beauty photography and get a sharp images on her make-up face.
Should I get more light or something?
I use nikon d5500, sigma lens 17-50mm f2.8 and yongnuo flash facing up to the wall

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Can you please provide what Aperture, Shutter Speed; what you focused on (what focus mode/area mode you used) ?

Many times the problem is related to those factors listed above.

Generally a Shutter of at least 1/125, Aperture say to start f/5.6 for proper Depth of Field, and single focus point on the closest eye.

Can you please provide what Aperture, Shutter Speed; what you focused on (what focus mode/area mode you used) ?

Many times the problem is related to those factors listed above.

Generally a Shutter of at least 1/125, Aperture say to start f/5.6 for proper Depth of Field, and single focus point on the closest eye.
Shutter speed at 1/80 and aperture f2.8 and manual focus to eye, I also use tripod in this pic

The shutter speed of 1/80 with speedlights should be fast enough with you on a tripod. So I would say that it is a depth of field issue with useing f/2.8. As @astroNikon said, to get more of the face in sharp focus, you would need a smaller aperture, which will require changing shutter speed or ISO and possibly adjusting the light power too.

When I zoom in I don't see any sharpness in either eyes.
Do you happen to have any type of filter attached to your lens?

If anything, start with the advice above and then repost.

I would get an umbrella, and shoot the flash into the umbrella modifier. I like about f/7.1 or f/8, f/9, f10, or f/11 for really SHARP faces with flash. Here is a makeup photo I did for a makeup artist, un-retouched skin, so you can literally see the makeup work she does. Shot in a small,cramped area, one umbrella about 48 inches camera left but very close to the lens axis,; the light gray background was a plain, white wall.

Shot at f/7.1 at 1/200 second and ISO 125, with one 40-inch umbrella box to immediate left of the camera, and one small fill light right off to the side of the camera, trying to get rather flat,even light that is not for a portrait look, but a "makeup look" shot.

Attachments

• KatieMakeup_proof_cramped shooting area.JPG
    KatieMakeup_proof_cramped shooting area.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 88
When I zoom in I don't see any sharpness in either eyes.
Do you happen to have any type of filter attached to your lens?

If anything, start with the advice above and then repost.
It just hoya pro1 uv filter

I would get an umbrella, and shoot the flash into the umbrella modifier. I like about f/7.1 or f/8, f/9, f10, or f/11 for really SHARP faces with flash. Here is a makeup photo I did for a makeup artist, un-retouched skin, so you can literally see the makeup work she does. Shot in a small,cramped area, one umbrella about 48 inches camera left but very close to the lens axis,; the light gray background was a plain, white wall.

Shot at f/7.1 at 1/200 second and ISO 125, with one 40-inch umbrella box to immediate left of the camera, and one small fill light right off to the side of the camera, trying to get rather flat,even light that is not for a portrait look, but a "makeup look" shot.
That was awesome! Thanks a lot [emoji4]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back