Tips & Pointers...If you please?

Kazzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just after some help as to what I can do to improve these for next time please?

6994615232_8e58e08ac6_z.jpg

6994466500_02f53fa8ed_z.jpg

Thanks guys

1. This needs more light; you've got bright light coming from image left with the subject looking right, leaving him (her?) with a bad case of raccoon eyes and under-exposed skin. The easiest thing to do would have been to use a reflector to bring some of that light on to the face. Even better would have been an OCF, off of the subject's left shoulder. Some of the empty space above could be cropped away, it adds nothing, and I think too that the image would have been stronger had the child been looking more toward the camera.

2. This one isn't bad at all. Again, a reflector would have helped illuminate the whole eye socket and provide a nice catch-light, but it's not too bad as-is. The main thing would be to have lesss empty space above the child's head and more below.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Do what TI said in the future. As for these I would just adjust the white balance so they are not so yellow and call it good.

Thankyou everyone for your input. I am going to have to get/make myself a reflector for sure.

Thanks again HEAPS. I really appreciate your help. So much. :)

For reflector....a thermocol sheet wud be better...and sometimes I use a home mirror to reflect back light on her right by some help....It works like a spot light giving face a 3D effect....u cud set WB on daylight or in reduced yellow in pp.
Sometimes, when I have a white hanky or towel, that work at reflector.
Use of in-built flash wud have helped better to them all....

I removed some of the yellow and brightened his face...

Boy1.jpg

Dear Kazzy; Your original question was " what I can do to improve these for next time please?" Which is a refreshing change of attitude compared to; "how can I fix a poor shot in PP?"

To evaluate my own perception, I asked my son his opinion, without any prelude on my part. He immediately said "it looks fake".

If what you wanted to do was to test your PP skills, you have done that, but since you have access to the same models, and presumably similar conditions, you could simply go out and re-shoot.

Edsport....nice...liked ur pp.....the need of reflector is reduced as sometimes, we have shoots in difficult conditions, having no other way but to think of subject.
Designer, next time same mood and same lighting wil be difficult to achieve....time is an important factor.

From the look of the photo's, these look like they were taken in the evening which is a perfect time to shoot directly in the sun. (photo 1) the baby's head is away from the light leaving her in the shadow, next time maybe position towards you so she can play with you and you can get her face in the sun. (photo2) Would have been perfect If you had the girl tip her hear up bit and you wouldn't have the racoon eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back