Were you using a tripod? 1/8 & 1/10 are almost impossible to do hand held, hence your blurry shots. I don't hold the camera if I'm doing low light shots. 1/30 is the slowest I've had turn out sharp. Even then, I usually use the tripod for anything under 1/60 or 1/100.
The higher the ISO, the faster you'll be able to have the shutter, but the image will get grainier and grainier the higher you go.
Aperture also controls depth of field (DOF), so keep that in mind when composing your shots. The lower the f/# (f-stop), the smaller the area that will be in focus. The higher the f-stop, the wider the area that will be in focus, but the image will need more light (or longer exposure, or higher ISO).
You can get a decent speedlight flash on eBay for around $30. They will allow you to turn the flash at different angles so you can bounce the light off of wall, ceilings, etc. which will give you softer lighting than the camera's built in flash. Diffusers or softboxes help soften a flash's light as well.

I wrote a book! Sorry bout that. I get a little carried away some times.