'Tis the last rose of fall?

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Oh well, we're three weeks past what used to be first frost in these parts and we just finished breaking two high temp. records so I guess it's going to be the last rose of Thanksgiving.

I saw strange things on my walk today -- a clematis that had gone to seed and yet was re-blooming and a honeysuckle covered in seed berries with new flowers. Plants are confused.

Must be signs of the end times and the coming of the anti-Christ -- oh yeah, that's tomorrow. ;)

Well here's a rose blooming on my neighbor's fence.

Joe

last_rose2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, nice! Same weather here, almost anyway, finally the other day leaves started actually changing colors. Well, some anyway, a lot of barely yellow leaves have already been filling up the yard.

Wow, nice! Same weather here, almost anyway, finally the other day leaves started actually changing colors. Well, some anyway, a lot of barely yellow leaves have already been filling up the yard.

It's Fall here and the leaves are dropping but it's still warm. We need a frost for the rest of the process to continue and there's no frost in sight. The ten day forecast shows us staying abnormally warm.

Glad you like the roses.

Joe

Looks like you're in California. :icon_camera:

:cool-98:

It may feel like northern CA but my neighbor didn't need to water that rose all summer long. We're experiencing higher temps and milder winters due to climate change, but what's happening in CA is much more frightening.

Joe

Nice image. I am seeing the same or similar here is Michigan. It was 68 yesterday. Heck, even the sandhill cranes are still here.

Nice image. I am seeing the same or similar here is Michigan. It was 68 yesterday. Heck, even the sandhill cranes are still here.

Thanks.
As for rising global temps, I'd start worrying if I hadn't been reassured by a recognized authority that it's all just a Chinese hoax -- trying to take our jobs! ;)

Joe

Looks like you're in California. :icon_camera:

:cool-98:

It may feel like northern CA but my neighbor didn't need to water that rose all summer long. We're experiencing higher temps and milder winters due to climate change, but what's happening in CA is much more frightening.

Joe
Yeah, the drought is serious and deadly business in the open/rural parts. I've dug up most of the front yard and replaced the grass with succulents and dirt. Yesterday, I reduced the front irrigation schedule from three days a week to two days a week and each zone is watered for only five minutes. I am having trouble hitting my water allocation number. Hell, I even have buckets in the shower and use the captured shower water in the planters. If the drought continues, I'll give serious thought to a graywater system.

PS- What are those spindly, vine-like growth surrounding the roses?

That's wild clematis gone to seed. The fence was overrun with it. It's an Asian invasive vine that's a very common nuisance here. Here's an old photo from a couple summers ago of a rose just about totally buried in it while it was still flowering.

Joe

rose_clematis.jpg

We purchase and plant Clematis here. lol
DPP-03-L.jpg

Yep, that's a commercial cultivar. They're very pretty; we have one in the front yard too. If the wild invasive variety got a foothold near one of those tame commercial varieties it would overrun it and tear it down in ten days. My favorite description of wild clematis comes from the invasive species database:
"Clematis terniflora is a perennial vine that is frequently used as a landscaping plant. It is invasive, however, and displays aggressive growth in many areas of North America. C. terniflora can climb nearly 10 metres high, smothering trees and pulling down telephone poles." (emphasis mine) GISD

Joe

Wow ... hard to imagine such a frail and dainty plant has a cousin which is a monster capable of tearing down telephones. (those blooms look very Honeysuckle-ish.)

Global Clematis Strangulation

Most reactions

Back