To 1d or 1ds Mark IIn?

j-dogg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With a 1d I could have money left over for some L glass.

With the IIn, I would get less shutter actuations, newer body, double the mp and I can shoot my 16gb CF card, but less money for awesome glass.

I have shot a Rebel forever and I'm ready to move up but my only dislike with the 1d is 4.5mp is that going to be enough for an 11x17? I've been shooting above 10mp forever I don't know how big an image a 4.5mp camera will make.

Or why not buy a lesser model body, such as a 60d and buy better glass. Rather than buying an outdated pro body with older internals? Is there a reason why you chose the 1d / 1dsm2 from others?

I have the potential to get great deals on them both. I have thought about a 5d with a grip as well. The 60d would be nice and I could do video, and keep my crop sensor lenses.

I have the potential to get great deals on them both. I have thought about a 5d with a grip as well. The 60d would be nice and I could do video, and keep my crop sensor lenses.
What exactly is a great deal? If you don't mind.

500 for the 1d or 850 for the II n, but I'm starting to lean more toward the 5d after reading a couple reviews.

Honestly it really doesn't seem to be that great of a deal.
Check eBay seems to be about the going price. Just because its a pro body, doesn't mean its going to give you great results. I personally would buy something a bit less dated and have more options and features. Thats just me, I too thought about buying a d1 because of the low price but there's normally a reason its low.

Honestly it really doesn't seem to be that great of a deal.
Check eBay seems to be about the going price. Just because its a pro body, doesn't mean its going to give you great results. I personally would buy something a bit less dated and have more options and features. Thats just me, I too thought about buying a d1 because of the low price but there's normally a reason its low.

You may be right that it is not a great deal, but I am not sure I agree with the statement that there's a reason it's low. It does not necessarily mean that it's bad, it's just that the people that have these bodies and get rid of them are people that are usually income producing professionals that need to have the latest and greatest technology to stay competetive and can afford to do such. It does not mean that they cannot be of some value to someone that doesn't necessarily need to be on top of the technology as soon as it comes out. Many people looking for better cameras automatically think new, then price limits them to a less capable (though newer) piece of equipment. There is less interest in buying used, so the price drops significantly. I am no expert, but the biggest difference that I see "newer technology" bring is less noise from the sensor and therefore the ability to use higher iso. A shutter is still a shutter. The downside to this is that many of these bodies really get a workout and it's sometimes tough to find them with low shutter actuations, but then again these cameras are made to handle an awful lot of clicks.

I've decided to get a gripped 5D mark I, 24-105 f4L and either a 70-200 f4L IS or f2.8L non-IS. I can get all that with the 70-200f4l for 3K, the 5D has 10k clicks on it. I do a little bit of pro work, but I cant do weddings on a 5 year old Rebel with a Tamron 18-270. It's a great setup for travelling and personal stuff but I would never do paid work on it. I'll keep the XTi as a digital back-up, and my 50mm f1.8, sell the Tamron and get the 5D package. I rarely go above 200mm on the Tamron, only for sunsets and shuttle launches and I can rent a 400mm or 500 for that if I want.

I really want full frame, and the 5D is bad-ass. I don't need the 1D yet, if I start getting a lot of work then I'll move up and keep the 5D as a backup.

You'll probably enjoy the 5D Classic and its simple, straightforward design, moderate weight, and most of all its full-frame capture area and full frame viewfinder. Especially since you've been shooting 35mm cameras; the transition to a 24x36 digital SLR like the 5D CLassic will be easy for you....no mental gymnastics needed with lens FOV factors...a 50mm will STILL be a 50mm,and more importantly, it will PERFORM the way you expect it should on your digital SLR. If the price is the same, I'd rather own the 70-200 f/2.8 L-non-IS version than the "old" 70-200 f/4-L with the 67mm filter size...

ALso, the 5D Classic works pretty darned well with adapter-fitted Nikon Ai AND all the pre-AI lenses...the 5D will accept pre-Ai lenses that will not fit on many Nikon bodies! SOme of the smaller Ai and Ai-S Nikkors, like the 200mm f/4, are really quite at home on the 5D Classic.

Yeah I got some awesome pre-AI stuff, got a Vivitar 70-210 f3.5 with the 67mm filter, 50mm f2, 50 1.4. On my Rebel they are flawless, the background rendering on the 1.4 wide-open is smooth as the glass that shoots it. I'm getting a 105mm f2.5 Nikkor-PC as well.

The 105/2.5 is one of ***the*** lenses that earned Nikon its reputation in the 1960's. It's so,so easy to focus!

the 105-2.5 nikkor pc is the best 35mm portrait lens in the history of 35mm photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back