To all smokers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artemis said:
More immune to parkinsons? but more suseptible to cancer...which is better to be more suseptible to?

Source of pleasure? so is sex...sorry but it is, and chocolat...

Authority? Try wearing a suit? or actually earning the authority?

Unwind? Read a book, watch t.v.

Give your hands something to do? Text another virgin mobile for 3p! :D

Help you make friends? bah...would you wanna be friends with a coughing weazing smoking yellow fingured addict?

Sorry, but smoking does NOTHING to help, and I stand by that.

WELL SAID!!!!

Artemis said:
More immune to parkinsons? but more suseptible to cancer...which is better to be more suseptible to?

Source of pleasure? so is sex...sorry but it is, and chocolat...

Authority? Try wearing a suit? or actually earning the authority?

Unwind? Read a book, watch t.v.

Give your hands something to do? Text another virgin mobile for 3p! :D

Help you make friends? bah...would you wanna be friends with a coughing weazing smoking yellow fingured addict?

Sorry, but smoking does NOTHING to help, and I stand by that.

Yep, but thats why people have the choice to choose what they want. Or dont want in this case.

Personally I can't stand smoking. As it is now, I work in a very small office with a 70 year old man that smokes cigar after cigar. I am SO sick of breathing that crap in, and sick of my clothes smelling like it. I was so happy to move out of my parents house cuz I got away from that, and now it's like it's even worse than it was then!!!

It's amazing the excuses smokers will tell themselves...this is addiction, this is how people stay addicted to harmful things.

I'm seeing more and more people (including my own family) die from cancer and I can't believe that people can continue to smoke after watching a loved one slowly and painfully die of cancer.

Cigarettes should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Ugh!! I'm a smoker who hates the smell of cigar smoke!!! Also being trapped with it would make me insane too. I'm all about no smoking indoors unless its okay with everyone. I also agree that cig smoke stinks big time...

THIS IS NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR!! but what really pisses me off are folks who look down their noses at smokers and think they are better than them. I guarentee that there is some sort of addictive trait in everyone whether it be caffine, nicotine, alcohol, endorphines, cell phones, sugar, potato chips, etc...

Big Mike said:
It's amazing the excuses smokers will tell themselves...this is addiction, this is how people stay addicted to harmful things.

I'm seeing more and more people (including my own family) die from cancer and I can't believe that people can continue to smoke after watching a loved one slowly and painfully die of cancer.

Cigarettes should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Dude there are just as many obese folks kicking the bucket, why not ban sugar.?

You can get glucose from natural plants. How many folks do you hear about getting fat from eating fruits and grains? It's the refined sugar that is killing folks. again why not ban it? and either way it's addictive. I'm sure cigarettes wouldn't kill half as many folks if they did it in moderation. :?

sorry i'm a synic at heart.

I could do the banned sugar thing... my sis is diabetic so I got trained not to eat a lot of sugar when I leved at home nad It's carried over to when I moved to uni. The only thing I still have sugar in is coffee or tea.

As far as cigarettes go, has anyone seen the new ad campaign they are running in the Uk to discorage people from smoking? the one where they squeeze all that white crap out of some dead smokers artery :puke: Thats enough to put me off.... I have friends that have smoked but have quit since seeing that ad so clearly it works.

I said this in another thread but... The two biggest things that bother me about smoking are the people who stand in a queue puffing away and blowing smoke in my face. They're a foot away from me and I'm getting all of it. And besides, why can't they wait two minutes until they've finished queuing or have one before they queue? Then there are the people who go to the pub where they know people will be smoking. Then kick up a big stink complaining about it. If you don't like smokers or the smell, don't go to places where you know it'll be. I think there are far too many people about who are just looking for something to complain about.

As far as I'm concerned. If you want to smoke, smoke. Just please have respect for the people who don't want to breathe it in. Think before you light up. And if you don't like smoke, stay away from it.

How many folks do you hear about getting fat from eating fruits and grains?
Lots. Some people can't eat certain types of fruit because they put on weight when they do. Things like strawberries and grapes are known for it. Why? I have no idea.
But then there is the other side. If you eat lots of fruit and grains, it can't be in your body long enough to do you any harm, right? ;)

Whilst I'm here I'll moan about something else. Just recently manufacturers have started to stop selling king size bars of chocolate. Bars which are bigger than normal. Why? Because they're being leaned on by the media, government and public. We all know eating too much chocolate and no exercise makes you fat, right? Well apparently not. King size bars of chocolate are getting the blame. Not the people who buy and stuff their faces with them, then sit on their bums watching TV. I feel the same way about the super size McDonalds stuff you used (?) to have over in America. It's not McDonalds' fault that people are getting fat. It's the people who are eating the stuff every day and not doing any exercise.

I agree, one guy sued mcdonalds for being fat, I mean...have some self control...

I just also believe there is to much death in the world....would you like to be killed by a white little stick...but not only you would suffer, your family would, through passive smoking, and they would also miss you.

Save yourself....get rid of the death stick..

(Death stick is used in star wars...I wonder if George lucas doesnt like smoking either?)

I normally stay quiet on this political stuff here as I am sure some may have noticed. But DAMMIT this crap has gone on long enough. I SMOKE, in the past I have smoked so much it made me sick. SO WHAT? It's my friggin choice. If you seek to take it away from me than eventually someone will begin taking YOUR choices away as well. That being said, I am trying seriously to quit. It is not a CHOICE to me any longer. With a baby on the way and working in a non-smoking building I have decided to use it to my advantage as GOOD reason to stop. But for now I will play devils advocate for the smokers of the world.

These points are not directed at any one certain person here. Just a generalization of a collection of people over the years in my life . . .
[flaming mad rant]

1. Yes many smokers are very inconsiderate. I am not one of them. PERIOD. Do NOT stereotype me as I don't do it to you. If I used the same type of mentality in reverse I would end up being called a sexist, racist, homophobe, biggot or any number of things from the plethora of the Politically Correct dictionary.

2. I don't buy the things that this quack psyc.DR says. But who the hell knows? I do know that the media and government would never allow anything positive to come out about it though. Smoking=Bad I learned that when I was 5 and somehow still decided to. It was not marketing or BIG tobacco force feeding them to me. It was MY CHOICE, stupid as it may be.

3. If smoking is so bad why won't the GOV ban it? Make it illegal? NEVER! Why do you think cig taxes are so high? Why will they never lower them? If you figure out the correct answer to these questions you will know why smoking may very well be legal forever (provided you can find a place to do it)

4. NEVER tell me what I can or can't do in MY HOME! This is the next step that is coming. Thank you California. We can't wire tap possible terrorists because we might be "infringing" on thier civil liberties (even though they are many times not even US citizens) but they can tell me that I can't smoke a cigarette in my own GARAGE?! Remeber smoking is legal, terrorism is not. As well as many other things the wonderful ACLU fights so hard to protect.

5. Smoking is disgusting. You smell like crap and it stains you teeth fingers and hair. Smokers know this even though our sense are dulled to it. But that is exactly why if you don't smoke you won't understand it.

6. With all of the ANTI-smoking advertisement going on these days I honestly feel that if aliens landed here tomorrow they would quickly deduce that crack cocaine is less harmful for you than tobacco. I see at least 10x as many anti-smoking ads as I do anti-drug campaigns these days.

7. Don't like it? Stay away! Like ferny said you don't have to go to a place where you know people will be smoking. At the same time while trying to be polite to non-smokers as it gets harder to find a place to smoke it gets harder to keep distance from the non-smokers. I will however go out of my way to be a nussiance to those who come up to me in a place that allows it, when I was there first, and start badgering me about it. I once had a woman tell me that she could smell my cigarette from 50 feet away, OUTDOORS in a parking lot and tried to read me the riot act. I;m sorry but I don't need strangers telling ME how to live MY life so THEY can feel like a better person.

8. Accountability has been almost completely lost. What used to be that you paid the consequences of your actions has now turned into the hotbed that is the booming market of trial laywers and class action law suits. Grow up and take responsibility. The McDonalds example was a perfect fit ie "Oh I didn't know that 27 big macs and 72 64oz sodas a week would make me fat!" get real. Ya I'm sure everyone thought smoking was good for you when they started too.

9. Moment of levity . . .

We should quit not only because it is bad for us but evetually the smoke film will gum up our shutters and I can't help but think that would be a costly repair bill :wink: but that is also one more choice WE as SMOKERS will have to make for ourselves not because someone told us to. No matter what the reason is.

Not to mention the fact that smokes will soon be well over $4.00 a pack.

[/flaming mad rant]

Sorry if I got repetative I was just venting and VERY tired and easily upset right now! But on a lighter note I have gone from 2-3packs a day down to just under 1 pack a day in the last week so I am making some progress. I don't care what anyone says though, it is difficult when you have been doing it for 15 or more years :shock:

Canon Fan said:
4. NEVER tell me what I can or can't do in MY HOME! This is the next step that is coming. Thank you California. We can't wire tap possible terrorists because we might be "infringing" on thier civil liberties (even though they are many times not even US citizens) but they can tell me that I can't smoke a cigarette in my own GARAGE?! Remeber smoking is legal, terrorism is not. As well as many other things the wonderful ACLU fights so hard to protect
I live in England so don't know a great deal about any of the US States views on smoking. So can you tell me a bit more about that? Are they really thinking about banning it from your house? So in essence it'll come under the same laws as cocaine and marijuana in that you can't use it at all?
It does make some sense. It's a harmful drug. But it's been legal for soooo long now... I don't think I'd see much difference between banning smoking in your home and banning alcohol. Both are drugs. Both do the consumer harm. Both have the potential to harm the people around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back