To all smokers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...the house thing is stupid..there you arent hurting anyone...cept maybe your family...but I believe most parents would make sure the child doesnt have to brathe in the smoke so thats ok...:p

So....well..I just dont see any good in it thats all...

:D

Artemis said:
Well...the house thing is stupid..there you arent hurting anyone...cept maybe your family...but I believe most parents would make sure the child doesnt have to brathe in the smoke so thats ok...:p

So....well..I just dont see any good in it thats all...

:D

Unfortunately that's not always true...the parents making sure their child doesn't breathe it in, part. I HAVE seen parents make it a rule to smoke only outside, but I've also seen children grow up with lots of health problems (I.E. me) because they were constantly breathing in cigarette smoke. What's worse is seeing mothers who smoke while pregnant (I.E. my mother). I'm NOT trying to stereotype all smokers!!! When I rant it's about the inconsiderate ones, not about those of you that have enough compasion to keep your smoke away from my lungs.

As for the Government banning it. It will never happen, so I wouldn't worry. I'm sorry to say, but the government is NOT always going to put our heatlh first...not when they make soooo much money off of tobaco crops!

Ok...not trying to start fights with anyone here...those are just my viewpoints..

If you are a smoker, and a considerate one, by all means, smoke all you want. It is your right.

I can understand an argument of "if you are outside and on public propery, there shoule be no reason that you can't smoke. BUT! there are time when I'll pass by someone who is smoking and I get caught (I say caught because sometime you can not get around it) in a cloud of smoke. Now I don't have a bad case of asthma but I still have asthma and when I breathe in just the tiniest bit of smoke thats enough to keep me coughing for at least 5 minutes. SO I don't want to hear people saying that smoking outside doesn't hurt anyone else. Just because you have more open air around you doesn't mean that the smoke is clearing and faster.

I just can not comprehend why people would want to intentionally hurt themselves? YOu don't go around stabbing yourself with a dull knife do you? Well that is essentially what smoking is doing not only to your lungs but also to your cardio vascular and nervous systems. I'm sorry to go off here but this topic really gets to me. My dad smoked at least a pack everday when I was a kid and it would drive me insane. I mean who smokes around kids (thats a whole different story) but now my dad is 50 - something and has had two heart attacks and couldn't run a block to save his life. Who wants to to that????

I don't know if that was meant for me, but I do want to say that I don't dislike smokers as humans. Many of my friends do smoke although I try to give them my opinion whenever possible :D

aggiezach said:
I don't know if that was meant for me, but I do want to say that I don't dislike smokers as humans. Many of my friends do smoke although I try to give them my opinion whenever possible :D

Heh heh...I do that too...specially when they buy em from me at the store. I do it in a joking manner...something like "You know, I feel it is my duty as your friend to inform you of the terrible dangers of smoking..." I'm usually cut off by then, but they get the picture! :)

So it's socially acceptable to lecture someone on the dangers of smoking... yet, tell someone who's obese they're killing themselves it would offend everyone in earshot.... :scratch:

voodoocat said:
So it's socially acceptable to lecture someone on the dangers of smoking... yet, tell someone who's obese they're killing themselves it would offend everyone in earshot.... :scratch:

Well the thing with that is, some people have health reasons that are causing their obesity. It is NOT easy for those people to lose weight.

Honestly, I don't think that's a good comparison. People who smoke CHOOSE to smoke. I don't choose to inherit the genes that I have.

All the personal rights, freedoms and social issues aside, it's a devastating habit.
I smoked when I was a youngster (3 packs a day when I quit) and I know how additctive it is. It's easy to tune out the ads proclaiming how bad they are for you. If you really want to get an idea of the impact tobbaco has on the body, not only talk to the families of cancer victims, talk to people in health care. It's staggering to see the amount of people in the system that are there as a result of smoking or it has at least been a contributing factor. Heck, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've responded to someones residence for shortness of breath to find someone with emphysema sitting at the table with oxygen on and puffing on a cigarette.

This is not directed to anyone specific...just a generalization....

What bothers me is when smokers act as though it's their God given right to smoke and people who don't like the smoke are oppressing them.

Just because our government say it's OK and profits from it...does not make it right.

Besides all the health issues...the addictiveness of them makes them a burden to society. How many people do you see/know that smoke and should obviously be spending that money elsewhere...rent, shoes for their kids etc. They cost about $10 a pack here in Canada...that's $8 US.

People say "It's my choice" sure it is. But don't think that it doesn't affect your society in some negative way.

I may not be justified in telling people to quit...but I'm pretty darn sure that the world would be a better place without cigarettes.

Big Mike said:
This is not directed to anyone specific...just a generalization....

What bothers me is when smokers act as though it's their God given right to smoke and people who don't like the smoke are oppressing them.

Just because our government say it's OK and profits from it...does not make it right.

Besides all the health issues...the addictiveness of them makes them a burden to society. How many people do you see/know that smoke and should obviously be spending that money elsewhere...rent, shoes for their kids etc. They cost about $10 a pack here in Canada...that's $8 US.

People say "It's my choice" sure it is. But don't think that it doesn't affect your society in some negative way.

I may not be justified in telling people to quit...but I'm pretty darn sure that the world would be a better place without cigarettes.

10 bucks a pack!!! :shock:

Yeah, that is another good point. And another point that hits home. I can remember so many times when I was younger when there was no food in the house, but yet my mom and stepdad had beer and cigarettes.

We can all rant and rave about iit, but what it comes down to is money. As long as the companies are making as much money as they are from cigarettes, and the government is getting their money from them too, there will always be cigarettes.

Karalee said:
We can all rant and rave about iit, but what it comes down to is money. As long as the companies are making as much money as they are from cigarettes, and the government is getting their money from them too, there will always be cigarettes.

Yup...that's pretty much what I said above somewhere...money hungry PIGS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back