To buy, or not to buy

Photog38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
mmm Wait for a rumour to eventuate or buy something that is tried and tested. You could do worse than a 30D that's for sure. The 40D may be better. But if we all sat and waited on rumours or predicted price drops then we'd never buy anything. You could hold off another 5 years and then get a 40mpx camera for under $1000 :). The extra 2mpx will make little difference in a practical sense, and so far I have yet to see a proper anti-dust feature that works. I hope there's more to the upgrade if it eventually does come out.

if you're already shooting with a capable camera ... just wait and see what inside the 40D. It maybe something worth waiting for ... or it may not.

If you're not shooting with a capable camera see Garbz above. (BTW- I have a friend with a 30D and an XTi ... he has like 3,000 actuations on the XTi and hasn't needed a sensor cleaning. He thinks the anti-dust is making a difference.)

he has like 3,000 actuations on the XTi and hasn't needed a sensor cleaning. He thinks the anti-dust is making a difference.)

I've never had an anti-dust feature so I'm not saying it doesn't work but I've had a Canon Digital Rebel, then a Canon 20D and now a 5D. Somewhere around 20k actuations and only cleaned the sensor once or twice on each camera.

I'm not well known for taking care of camera equipment. Just over 19000 and never cleaned it once. Isn't the sensor cleaning thing something that is activated when needed to vibrate dust off the sensor? Has he ever needed to do it? I have yet to hear of it actually working so far every proper review I have seen has said it hasn't helped at all, but who knows. Bit of common sense like not changing lenses just as a rally car is passing is worth more than all the technology in the world.

I have a 20D and a 5D, I shoot all the time (constantly changing lenses) in all sorts of environments. In a dusty/dry place like SoCal I gotta clean my stuff every six weeks or so.

I've never had an anti-dust feature so I'm not saying it doesn't work but I've had a Canon Digital Rebel, then a Canon 20D and now a 5D. Somewhere around 20k actuations and only cleaned the sensor once or twice on each camera.

My friend knows photography and knows equipment. He also read and believed the various reviews stating that most anti-dust systems don't work and the few that do work ... just barely work. He was pleased and surprised at the lack of sensor cleaning required my the XTi and his evaluation is that it must be doing something.

I can see what you mean about waiting. It could go on forever. Sooner or later you just have to bite the bullet and buy the model that is available at the time. I just don't want to buy the 30D and then the new model comes out in a month or two. I know that whatever model I buy will someday be replaced with a newer and better one. But I'd hate for that to happen right after (and I mean right after) I buy the 30D. But on the other hand, if the new "40D" is nothing great, then I probably would have been just as happy with the 30D.

I'm still not sure what to do:grumpy:; wait for a few months and see if the "40D" is released (and then decide between the 30D and the "40D"), or just go ahead and buy the 30D and not worry about the "40D". Either way, I know that eventually the day will come to replace my camera, whatever it may be. :er:

Shortly after I started with digital, I though auto sensor cleaning would be great and I would want to have it. But by now I don't care about it anymore. I clean my sensor once in a while and it is no great effort ...

As for the new dust removal feature in many new models, people from Canon told me it only works for dry non-sticky dust, in other words the dust you even can remove with an air bulb.

most of my sensor dirt however is rather sticky since I do outdoor photography in sometimes rather wet climates.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back