To filter or not to filter...

LucyZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first expensive lens. A Nikkor 24-70. Needless to say I am nervous handling it. I bought the lens from B&H so with it came the Tiffen - 77mm Photo Twin Pack (UV Protection and Circular Polarizing Filter) .

Should I use either of the filters for added protection? Will they change the quality of the photos?

Thanks for any advice!

Digital cameras are not sensitive to UV light, so the only purpose of a UV filter, on a digital camera, is for protection. But unfortunately, yes...it will change the quality of the photos. If it's a good filter and you're in a favorable situation, you may not notice the quality loss. If not, then it may ruin the images. Some photographers use 'protection' filters all the time, some never do. It's up to you.

As for the polarizing filter, that is a very handy filter to have & use. But it's not something that you will want to have on the lens all the time. Only put it on when you want the effects that it can give you. It does steal some light (likely causing slower shutter speeds), so you really don't want to use it when it won't be of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
No filters on any of my L lenses, why spend good money and put some cheap glass infront of it

This.

I suggest using a UV filter for protections if you shoot a lot in dusty dirty environment. Or maybe right next to a waterfall when you get lots of water on the lens. Otherwise in a less extreme situation, handling lens with care will pay off without the need to use a filter to ruin the picture quality.

If you decide to ditch the UV filter, just store it away in case you ever want to be "retro" - they can still be useful with color film.

Filters don't really protect your lens from anything that might harm it's performance--all they can prevent is cleaning marks and insignificant scratches, anything that is going to cause a defect big enough to matter would just break right through the filter.

I wouldn't use it unless you plan on reselling the lens to a picky buyer in the future. The newest pro lenses have nano-coatings that prevent glare and improve contrast but that's completely defeated by placing a filter in front of it.

If you're shooting film, UV filters can make a difference in color.

True Story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back