To let edit or not to let edit.

I think that may have been a sarcastic jab at those that refuse to help or talk to people if they don't allow them to edit their photos. :)

Kunta-Kinter and here I thought Traveler was being comical...never the less, laughter is good for the soul!!

While I don't really understand not allowing your photos to be edited, I also don't get people who seem to be offended by the choice others make to not allow it. It's quite obviously their right to ask that their photos not be edited, whatever their reason. People who call them egotistical and stubborn and whatever else, why do you care? Why does it bother you that they don't want help via editing? If someone just puts "My Photos Are Not OK To Edit" why can't you just respect their wishes and move along? Why the need to call them big head and egotistical?

It is sometimes easier for me to explain C&C, if I can do an edit with it also. I am much more likely to spend more time trying to help someone that allows edits... because of that. I can understand someone that has a lot of experience, not allowing edits. However I think it is pretentious for noobs not to allow it, especially if they are asking for help... many of them would benefit greatly from it.

Last edited:
Well, I am changing mine to edit. I have never been on a forum that had that option and didn't know what it was really about, so I set not edit to be safe. Good question: I have learned:)

Thats an interesting point Forkie. Many times Ive seen edited shots by those who dont allow edits on their pics but dont have a problem editing others pics. I would think they wouldnt and shouldnt do it because they should have the same respect for the work of others that they have of their own. I think that having a choice to allow editing or not divides a site more than it unites it.

I probably wouldn't go so far as to say that those that don't allow editing shouldn't be allowed to edit others (otherwise we'd need extra statuses stated who can and can't edit them as well!), but I certainly would think it arrogant for someone who doesn't allow editing to get annoyed if they themselves are asked not to.

I've been known to have a go at editing some other people's photos on this site, but if I was asked not to I definitely don't think I have the right to get annoyed about it or accuse them of arrogance or being egotistical.

This is just my 2 cents, I have my profile set to "ok to edit" I haven't posted many pictures on here yet, but when I do, if someone else who has more experience and a different "vision" than I do can show me something that I never would have considered, I don't see how that can hurt. I also think that if someone does edit another person's picture, With and with out "permission" both parties should be respectful of the others opinions and visions.
Like has been said in this thread and others, it doesn't make sense for someone who has just bought their first camera last week to not be open enough to see and read other peoples ideas of how a picture could be improved. No one is forcing you to like the changes.

fjrabon I guess you havent been reading the many posts in this thread. To me two people stand out as prime examples of the sillyness of attitude regarding their images. If I see the DONT TOUCH MY PICS sign I usually move on. In the instance with the OP of this thread I erred and did a correction which I and many others think was necessary. I prefer to ignore those people who are here to just show off their talents. I dont mind being impressed by good talent and great shots. But in the case of the two mentioned, one takes nothing but snapshots, many with focus problems and the other takes pics without any regard to exposure and focus. Having a swollen head toward their 'work' just blows my mind. To call something their 'work' they should create something. Just pointing the camera in some general direction without regard to the controls of the camera or having the basic concept of what is needed to take a photo does not make it a 'work'. Its just a picture. When you reach a level where your posts are seen with respect and many asking "how did you do that" is when your images wont be fixed because they wont need fixing. The two mentioned need some help, but their problems go beyond the bounds of picture taking Im afraid and beyond the scope of this forum.

I've learned so much from allowing people to edit my photos. Even though I have already spent time editing them it's helpful to see what other people can do. It's even more helpful when they tell you what they did and how since it helps you learn your editing program. Which could be very valuable to someone who doesn't even know how to create a watermark.....

fjrabon I guess you havent been reading the many posts in this thread. To me two people stand out as prime examples of the sillyness of attitude regarding their images. If I see the DONT TOUCH MY PICS sign I usually move on. In the instance with the OP of this thread I erred and did a correction which I and many others think was necessary. I prefer to ignore those people who are here to just show off their talents. I dont mind being impressed by good talent and great shots. But in the case of the two mentioned, one takes nothing but snapshots, many with focus problems and the other takes pics without any regard to exposure and focus. Having a swollen head toward their 'work' just blows my mind. To call something their 'work' they should create something. Just pointing the camera in some general direction without regard to the controls of the camera or having the basic concept of what is needed to take a photo does not make it a 'work'. Its just a picture. When you reach a level where your posts are seen with respect and many asking "how did you do that" is when your images wont be fixed because they wont need fixing. The two mentioned need some help, but their problems go beyond the bounds of picture taking Im afraid and beyond the scope of this forum.

No, I've been following this conversation, and like the 2398457234587234 other ones exactly like it that go on here basically every month.

fjrabon said:
No, I've been following this conversation, and like the 2398457234587234 other ones exactly like it that go on here basically every month.

Sure it's not 2398457234587235 other ones??? ;)

Hmmm, thats interesting. Is there a reason none of it is sinking in? Its none of my business if you do drugs now or in the past. If not that, I wonder what the reason is?

Hmmm, thats interesting. Is there a reason none of it is sinking in? Its none of my business if you do drugs now or in the past. If not that, I wonder what the reason is?

Plenty has sunk in. Mostly in this thread the thing that has sunk in is that you're mostly a jerk who gets his feelings hurt too easily, and somehow gets offended by how people choose to display their art, such as it is.

but I guess that's a lot of people on the internet.

Well Im glad you got something out of this. It makes my heart sing to know I've been of help. I think many things that have been said have been blown out of proportion. All Im saying is that people who have such a high regard for their photos should take another look at them and reconsider the pedestal on which they have been placed. Dont ask for help or a C&C while they are on that pedestal because once in a while a mistake will be made and an edit might be made to one of them. I truly wish I was on the ignore list of every person who has their pics on the pedestal. Im not interested in seeing their stuff and Im not interested in them reading anything I have to say. Id like to think that like minded folk with a good attitude is more enjoyable to be around and share our ideas and suggestions with than stuffed shirts with blown up egos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back