To people who own multiple DSLR's.....

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the people out there who own both a small and large body DSLR (ie D40 and D300) I am wondering what you use more on your non-paying gigs...

Do you use your lighter camera because of weight and ease or do you use your feature rich heavier camera more often?

Depends on the circumstances, If its non-paying gig that I setup and want to cover than I would use my best gear. If its a non-paying not important like a family reunion I would bring my D40. There is many variables that take into account for me like do I feel like I need to bring this or not. Its ultimately your decision.

I used to have a Rebel XT & 40D. Ended up using the 40D all the time. Mainly for screen size, because at the non-paying gigs you're often goofing around and people want to see the pic you just took. This may not be an issue with a Nikon D40's 2.5" screen though.

Don't actually have 2 bodies at the moment, but when I do, I expect that I'll use the better one more often. That's the pattern I see when I buy better lenses - I use the better one much more often even if it's more limited in focal length range and is heavier.

Don't actually have 2 bodies at the moment, but when I do, I expect that I'll use the better one more often. That's the pattern I see when I buy better lenses - I use the better one much more often even if it's more limited in focal length range and is heavier.

well.... i assume most people would use the more expensive body because it's expensive and fun to play with... but i'm more wondering when the lust and shine wears off of the heavy body if people tend to use the light gear....

When I had my 30D and an XTi, I used the XTi most of the time because of it's size. However, when I sold it and got a 1D MK II, I use that all the time now because I spent too much money for it to be sitting around my house. :) If I'm going on vacation or something though and I don't want to pack a lot, I'll pick the smaller camera and one good lens.

people tend to use the light gear....

:thumbsup:

funny how "light gear" isn't part of people's vocab when discussing 24-70L and 24-700L IS..

Its fine to be a little impractical when your paycheck depends on it... but for most of us being practical means the stuff will get used and enjoyed more often.

Both my bodies are heavy (D300 & D700) I tend to take the D300 to non critical events because it does not have the vertical grip and weighs a bit less, but when it is just family and friends, I take a point and shoot.

Both my bodies are heavy (D300 & D700) I tend to take the D300 to non critical events because it does not have the vertical grip and weighs a bit less, but when it is just family and friends, I take a point and shoot.

a point and shoot..... interesting....

a point and shoot..... interesting....

I bought it to be able to take anywhere, it is waterproof to 33ft, shock resistant to 6 ft drop. The ISO range sucks but it lets me take crapy pictures just like everyone on Facebook, the crapy pictures make me thankful to have 2 DSLR's

I have often thought (as a new high end body is way out of my price range for a long time) of getting a good bridge camera for family trips and such. That way I have a good point and shoot - and if needs be I can use custom settings for those specical shots

I bought it to be able to take anywhere, it is waterproof to 33ft, shock resistant to 6 ft drop. The ISO range sucks but it lets me take crapy pictures just like everyone on Facebook, the crapy pictures make me thankful to have 2 DSLR's

makes sense... a camera for drunken purposes...

Well there is really not much difference in size between my 10D and 40D and I usually carry both along where I go. What I do do is the 10D gets the shorter focal length lens while the 40D get the the long lenses where the higher pixel count and better performance will give more definition and the highest resolution for distant subjects which invariably will get cropped. "IE wildlife photo's)

it depends on how much 'fun' i think i'll have. if i am going out for some serious sight seeing or an important family event, i take my best gear. if i am going hiking, swimming or somewhere where something is more likely to harm my camera, i take my older back-up.

weight does not get to me too much. i am used to lugging the lbs around. i keep an extra bag in the car with gear so that i can 'dump' the gear i am not using. but on a whole, i just carry it.

i am sure i'll be walking completely lop-sided by the time i'm 50

I don't get paid, but I've got two bodies. When I got the D300, it didn't to make sense to sell the D80 for some reason. I use the D300 probably 90% of the time, only because there is still much to learn on it.

Most reactions

Back