britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Not been on here in a while. I am looking for a little advice. I have a Nikon D50 and love it to bits.

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed the other day after taking some shots of my extended family I wanted to crop a picture and have it printed quite large but couldn't because the image was too small. I had to artificially up scale the photo to get the on-line photo printing company to print it.

I thought getting a higher megapixel camera might help address this. I was looking at the D60 but I have read mixed reviews and a lot people tend to prefer the D50.

Would I be making a mistake "upgrading" to the D60? Has anyone used both cameras?

Thanks,

Brian

What lenses do you have with your D50? That would be my first question. If you have AF-I or AF-S lenses then you will be fine. If you have older D type AF lenses they will not AF on the D60.

I think the D60 will have some added upgrades over the D50 in just more than pixel count. But I would highly suggest you step up to the D90. I know it's a couple hundred more. But it is that much better. And you can keep using or buy the older AF lenses and get full use from them. A D60 is a good first camera, and is a step up from D50. But I think for the money. D90 even though more expensive. Dollar for dollar I think it's a much better choice.

BTW I have a D50, D40X (D60 from year before), and D300's.

Higher pixel count aside, the D60 doesn't really offer much over the D50, and has the disadvantage that you can only autofocus with AF-S lenses. As a first dSLR the D60 is excellent, but I can't see the appeal for a D50 owner. I agree with Ben that you'd be better off getting a more significant upgrade by going to the D90 - or if the 90 is too expensive, the D80 which continues to drop in price. In fact, barely used D80s can be had cheaper than a new D60!

Thanks guys - advice much appreciated. Think I will leave the D60 for now then. D80 is a bit pricey I think. How does it compare size wise to the D50? I don't really want my camera to be much bigger.

I only have two lenses but they are both AF driven by the camera so I would need to use the D60 kit lens and buy new lenses.

I would hold out for the D90 in your situation. Why spend money on a kit lens when you have decent lenses in the first place. I know they are not that much. But again that little bit helps. With a D90 you would only need a new body! As for D80's some bodies can be had for what a D60 and kit lens goes for. If it were me though. I would still wait it out for D90.

Have a safe new years

why not check to see what file size your using before switching cameras.

perhaps you have the option set for the lowest quality image.

Hi Ann,

No already checked that. Afraid it is on fine already. Only higher setting is to shoot RAW and that isn't going to improve the resolution. Until I can afford a D80 or D90 looks like I am just going to have to make sure I get closer to the subject and / or use optical zoom more.

Cheers

Actually, shooting in RAW will make a difference, but if it would be significant enough for your needs, that depends.

If you were borderline, RAW would have helped. If you are cropping 90% of out a pic and want to make a 20X30 out of it, 25MP is not enough...lol.

Very true... what I meant by shooting RAW wouldn't help is that it wouldn't make the image physically bigger but I take it you are referring to the post-capture processing being a lot more versatile?

In this particular case I was cropping out about 60% of the original shot and wanted to print to 9X6"

So I would have thought a 6MP shot would have been enough but the man from photo-printing site - he say no :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back