To Warranty Or Not to Warranty...

K8-90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...That is the question :p

I'm going to university for graphic design in the fall, and a mac is, albeit unofficially, a requirement.

I've decided on the laptop below. What I can't decide on is whether or not to purchase the Apple Care warranty.

I've googled, and read horror stories from people on both sides of the fence. So I'm just look for some more opinions!

Below is some additional info :sexywink:
(Feel free to comment on my selection as well! I like to be as informed as possible before I hand hand my dough over :p)

Thanks!

I'm going with the 13" MacBook Pro with the following specs:
13-inch, Aluminium
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

I have a 24" monitor at home and I am hoping I'll be able to plug into the school's monitors - hence the small screen. I'm looking for something I can cart along with me around campus without breaking my back.

I'll be using most of the Adobe Design Premium suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash...)

I have a couple external hard drives as well.

if you're going to school with it, yes.
the last thing you want is a computer breaking down and you having to wait and paying to fix things.

trust me.

How about insurance vs no insurance. Warranty is useless if someone steps on it, or it gets stolen.

You say you've heard horror stories well that's up to you. If this is your life savings then get the warranty. If it is just something you're buying along side your diamond encrusted ipod then who cares about a warranty.

How should we make a decision that impacts and is highly dependant on your financial situation.

I say the warranty is a great idea. I've used it before for my Macbook Pro (twice actually) and it's already paid for itself. The service is great too.

I'm not big with extended warranties but I'm glad to have gotten it with my iMac. The sales guy told me that because of the computer being part of the monitor and the lack of a fan, there had been some problems with the monitor part.

It turned out my problem had nothing to do with the monitor but I got a brand new one from Mac after about a year and half when nobody could figure out what the problem was...

I've never had any problems with any of my other computers (all Macs) but I see that tharmsen did, so who knows.

It seems to me that, as Garbz mentioned, depending on your finances, an insurance may be better. Especially with a laptop at school. My problem with laptops is that, since they get carried around, they tend to get into accidents. At the very least, get yourself a decent carrying case. Cheap insurance. Kind of like a UV filter on yours lenses...

How about insurance vs no insurance. Warranty is useless if someone steps on it, or it gets stolen.

How should we make a decision that impacts and is highly dependant on your financial situation.

You know, I've never thought about insurance. I'm very uneducated in that area. Where do you insure a laptop? I guess I'll be googling that. I honestly thought insurance was limited to larger things, like cars and houses :blushing:

c.cloudwalker, I'll definitely keep it in a case! I'm pretty careful with my stuff, especially electronics. But accidents do happen!

Thanks!

Yep Houses. The house policy can usually have a rider, in this case electronic gear like Cameras, Lenses, Laptops can be covered for theft, fire, loss, and accidental damage outside the house, often without taking out an additional policy.

Check with whoever does your home insurance.

c.cloudwalker, I'll definitely keep it in a case! I'm pretty careful with my stuff, especially electronics. But accidents do happen!

Thanks!

But extended warranty and insurance cover two different things. Warranty is for manufacturer faults, insurance covers accidents or theft.

Extended warranties mean nothing to me. When it comes to computers, if anything breaks after the warranty, I can fix it myself faster and cheaper than companies could anyways. Now, insurance is another animal... everything I own in camera and computer/laptop equipment is insured under a rider with my house insurance... as long as it is not something used in a professional endeavor... like wedding photography or portraiture (specific examples cited by the insurance company to me).

I do have a separate laptop that is used exclusively for work purposes and that one is covered under it's own policy with my company insurance needs.

As long as I am not getting paid to do something, my home insurance covers me for the rest.

But extended warranty and insurance cover two different things. Warranty is for manufacturer faults, insurance covers accidents or theft.

The manufacturing fault must be in the grip then when it falls onto the ground and gets accidentally damaged :lol:.

Kidding. That would be called fraud!

Extended warranties mean nothing to me. When it comes to computers, if anything breaks after the warranty, I can fix it myself faster and cheaper than companies could anyways.

Unfortunately, I've got no skills in that department. Wish I did! But I really don't want to try, botch the job and be without a laptop!

The manufacturing fault must be in the grip then when it falls onto the ground and gets accidentally damaged :lol:.

Kidding. That would be called fraud!
^ Har har! :lol:
I mean, Tsk tsk! ;)

Well, I don't own a car or house (I live with mes parents), and I can't find any decent looking companies that provide laptop insurance in Canada. So as it stands, I'd say insurance is, unfortunately, out.

I think I'll go with the service plan though. I'd like to have at least some peace of mind!

Mine is on my parent's home policy. Check with them and ask nicely. My insurance company doesn't care who breaks the camera in use as long as it's covered in the policy additions.

Just remember.. not all warranties are equal. For the most part, extended warranty is pretty useless (coming from automotive side). You pay money and typically they make it difficult to make a claim. After all, they are in the business of making a profit.

On the other hand, Apple Care is one of those warranty programs that seem to work pretty well. I've taken advantage of it and most people I have talked with have little problems with Apple backing claims. I only take apple care on laptops as they are constantly being carried around.

Most reactions

Back