Who uses a Mac? Looking to buy, need opinions

Don't go off the deep end.... the discussion was about a particular system that was chosen... a mac. The OP wasn't looking for a debate on Mac versus PC.

I guess each and every Nikon thread should have a Canonite saying Nikkors suck and each and every Canon thread should have a Nikonian saying that L-lenses suck. Again.. what is the purpose of that? (or are you going to say that we all should just never post anything?) Nothing you have contributed is new nor insightful.... just simply trolling.

Honestly.. TV commercials are more entertaining and informational.

I think Tharmsen already said it:

you're obviously not familiar with the definition of trolling. and you basically told me not to post in this thread because my opinion and experience is not the same as yours. if you read my first post in this thread you can clearly see that yes, i prefer PC, but i also state that it comes down to which OS you prefer and buy the best machine you can with the OS of your choice; then proceeded to give some advice on the RAM as buying it with the Apple machines it is way overpriced and can be found for 1/10 the cost at any etailer/retailer and is an easy do it yourself upgrade.
i also blatently stated that the GT series nvidia cards will not do the job. they are incredibly underpowered and overpriced. going with the 4850 is a way better decision.
in each of my original posts i gave my opinion on the hardware he specified so again... how is that trolling? the ones who blatently slam my opinions when i'm trying to provide input... that's trolling.

Keith, I think that the iMac you listed would be pretty kick ass. Save with refurb, and extra ram yourself. Also, keep an eye on Dealmac.com, also their sister site Dealnews.com

Well I formatted my PC, cleaned off a lot of junk that came preinstalled, performed a few tweaks, you name it. I set up a SATA RAID 3.0g/s with 2 640gb drives, and partitioned the RAID 0 to take 150 of each drive, for a striped 300gb volume that's perfect for holding my page file. I figure you guys will enjoy seeing this:

59.jpg

Actually, if anyone read what I said, I was comparing the hardware, not the software. As I said "The os is nice" referring to mac. What I am saying is, when you buy a mac, its so expensive, for what little bang you get. (hardware wise)

Yes I understand windows needs more hardware but come on, I think the mac prices are overpriced still...

you're obviously not familiar with the definition of trolling. and you basically told me not to post in this thread because my opinion and experience is not the same as yours.

Nope... you are trolling.

Guy says I want a mac.
You say get a PC
Guy says I want a mac
You say get a PC because..
Guy says I want a mac
You say PC is better because..

<and continues>

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Controversial -> Windows versus Mac -> checked
irrevelant -> Windows not mentioned in OP -> checked
intent of provoking -> Argumentative against Mac -> checked

Last edited:

Guy says I want a mac.
You say get a PC
Guy says I want a mac
Guy says I want a mac

<and continues>

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

not once was i off topic other than defending my posts during the defensive mac flamebaiting. as i said. i made suggested to the hardware that was specified in the original post, not once did i say or even imply that i was trying to pursuade the op into getting a PC, i even stated that i knew full well his mind was made up prior to even beginning the thread. learn to read. you sir, are trolling by your own definition. you have done nothing but attack people in this thread. way to be helpful.

Last edited:

Guy says I want a mac.
You say get a PC
Guy says I want a mac
Guy says I want a mac

<and continues>

:lol:

you make so many mature statements like this i'm not surprised at all you're still here. bad business? bad business is having to support 2 platforms which is why so many software manufacturers refuse to produce software for macs. windows much more profitable for software developers also partly due to the fact that windows is easier to develop for as well. this is why apple's market share is so small and why it will continue to be that way.

What do you know, a poll on another forum. 25 mac users, 26 pc users. I'd call that a correct statement.

Mac or PC - Page 2 - MyCanikon

Apple’s share is so small because they almost went bankrupt. M$ was the profitable company to write and OS on because when one of the earlier versions of Windows came out, it was installed on all the IBMs, which was one of the biggest selling computers at the time. Businesses wrote software for a profitable system. Business kept writing software for a profitable system. Eventually, Windows had such a huge market share and Apple was just a toy.

Apple will never be able to touch M$’s market share with their current business strategy. I’m pretty sure they’re not worried about it because they’re still pretty profitable and in certain fields, like photography, graphic design, music production, etc… they’re the preferred platform. Why? Because designers started using them when they were superior to PC’s for graphic design and even though Apple computers and every other PC will do the same thing, it’s what they’ve always used. Kind of like businesses not changing from Windows because that’s what they’ve always used, so making a switch would cost them exponentially more money than what it’s workth.

Actually, if anyone read what I said, I was comparing the hardware, not the software. As I said "The os is nice" referring to mac. What I am saying is, when you buy a mac, its so expensive, for what little bang you get. (hardware wise)

Yes I understand windows needs more hardware but come on, I think the mac prices are overpriced still...

There's a price difference, but it's not that bad compared to the same type of computer. Plus there's other amenties with certain platforms. Backlit keyboards, glass screens, aluminum bodies, laptops that are about 1/2" thick when closed.

What do you know, a poll on another forum. 25 mac users, 26 pc users. I'd call that a correct statement.

Mac or PC - Page 2 - MyCanikon

Apple’s share is so small because they almost went bankrupt. M$ was the profitable company to write and OS on because when one of the earlier versions of Windows came out, it was installed on all the IBMs, which was one of the biggest selling computers at the time. Businesses wrote software for a profitable system. Business kept writing software for a profitable system. Eventually, Windows had such a huge market share and Apple was just a toy.

Apple will never be able to touch M$’s market share with their current business strategy. I’m pretty sure they’re not worried about it because they’re still pretty profitable and in certain fields, like photography, graphic design, music production, etc… they’re the preferred platform. Why? Because designers started using them when they were superior to PC’s for graphic design and even though Apple computers and every other PC will do the same thing, it’s what they’ve always used. Kind of like businesses not changing from Windows because that’s what they’ve always used, so making a switch would cost them exponentially more money than what it’s workth.

wow, another personal attack. surprising.
you post has absolutely nothing to do with the text you quoted from my post, so i'll just assume your only reason for posting was for the personal attack.

ok ok... enough of the verbal tennis, this threads going way off the rails.
Answer the original question by the OP from now on please.

Oh btw....

Once (if) you (OP) get the iMac original specified at the beginning of this thread, it would be really nice to max out the memory. I recommend MacSales (subdivision of OWComputing) for the memory. It is priced far more competitively than going direct from Apple. Most photoediting software (photoshop and lightroom) are memory bound.

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

Crucial is a good one too.

Newegg.com <--- cheaper than all the rest for memory

Most reactions

New Topics

Back