Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Rather than polluting the forums with 4+ different threads, I thought I'd just consolidate most all of my images from this Spring Break (UCD Student) into one thread. There will be a range of different images, some from my comfort areas (macro, etc) and some from areas new to me (landscape), so here we go.

As always, comments are appreciated, and I hope you enjoy the photos :D

--------
Day 1: Went on a hike.

1. Slippery Slope

Slippery Slope by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. Mountain Beauty

Mountain Beauty by TogaLive, on Flickr

--------
Day 2: Went to San Francisco.

1. Puppeteer of the City

Puppeteer of the City by TogaLive, on Flickr

----------

Day Three: Went to the Arboretum today, found spiders. The first image is my favorite. Second image is to give it some additional context.

1. The Lynx (aka a Lynx Spider)

The Lynx by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. The Prey (taken shortly after the Lynx Spider nailed an Aphid)

The Prey by TogaLive, on Flickr

3. Ooooo, Aaaaa.

Ooooo, Aaaaa. by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not the typical Spring Break photos we've become accustomed to by the likes of Joe Francis. :(

But the shots are pretty good.

Anyone else have thoughts? If not, thats cool, just thought I'd check in. 197 views and only one response tends to tell me I missed my mark. If thats the case, I'll refocus for the remainder of my shooting during break.

I really enjoyed the second one, of the butterfly/moth. The cityscape is elegantly done. I did not find the spider and the tilt all that compelling...lighting seems too shadowy, and I detest tilted pics most of the time.

I really enjoyed the second one, of the butterfly/moth. The cityscape is elegantly done. I did not find the spider and the tilt all that compelling...lighting seems too shadowy, and I detest tilted pics most of the time.

I appreciate the comments Derrel, and I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'll look into the first image possibly being rotated to help eliminate the tilt, it really didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks again ;)

Cityscapes like that are always problematic in the following way:

- you're on a well travelled path
- the view is striking, the alignment of forms is striking
- other people will notice it

So there's the basic problem that any photograph you take is going to be a duplicate. Without much effort you can probably find a dozen photographs on flickr that are almost pixel-identical with yours.

This is the same problem that exists with shooting the moon, the moon always looks the same.

So what? Well, maybe it doesn't matter to you. That's ok, this picture is different for you, because you took it. For *us* though, the fact that it's a duplicate takes away from it. Even if we've never seen this particular viewpoint before, we can recognize it as "one of those" and that makes us (well, it makes ME, at any rate) like it less.

Macros are not my thing, so all I can say there is that they seem perfectly competent and nice!

Cityscapes like that are always problematic in the following way:

- you're on a well travelled path
- the view is striking, the alignment of forms is striking
- other people will notice it

So there's the basic problem that any photograph you take is going to be a duplicate. Without much effort you can probably find a dozen photographs on flickr that are almost pixel-identical with yours.

This is the same problem that exists with shooting the moon, the moon always looks the same.

So what? Well, maybe it doesn't matter to you. That's ok, this picture is different for you, because you took it. For *us* though, the fact that it's a duplicate takes away from it. Even if we've never seen this particular viewpoint before, we can recognize it as "one of those" and that makes us (well, it makes ME, at any rate) like it less.

Macros are not my thing, so all I can say there is that they seem perfectly competent and nice!

Well said. I know exactly what you mean about the landscape shot, which is honestly one of the reasons why I rarely shoot them compared to macro or other styles which (IMO) seem more "one-off." That said, after 15 pages of scrolling on Flickr under the keywords "San Francisco", this is the most similar image I could find, and I would posit that it is an entirely different image.

Regardless, thanks for the insight! :D

Well, just to let you know of my immediate reaction upon viewing your S.F. cityscape photos... I instantly thought "Ooo, when we came past this very scene [i.e. me being the passenger in a moving car], I so wished I could photograph it", and I couldn't, as it came, was there, went, opportunity gone. So I would have LOVED to be one of those that amolitor says take just a duplicate (millionicate, as it were). That's why I am happy for you that you got to take "my" (a-hemmm) photo! :D

Macros I find fascinating but I'm not "into" it, so I can only say very little about them, other than that I'll always be taken in by spiders' eyes!

Well, just to let you know of my immediate reaction upon viewing your S.F. cityscape photos... I instantly thought "Ooo, when we came past this very scene [i.e. me being the passenger in a moving car], I so wished I could photograph it", and I couldn't, as it came, was there, went, opportunity gone. So I would have LOVED to be one of those that amolitor says take just a duplicate (millionicate, as it were). That's why I am happy for you that you got to take "my" (a-hemmm) photo! :D

Macros I find fascinating but I'm not "into" it, so I can only say very little about them, other than that I'll always be taken in by spiders' eyes!

Thanks for the kind words, and in any case, I'm glad to have gotten your shot too ;) If you'd like I can always send you the non-watermarked version if you have a use for it. As for the macro's, thats completely understandable, its an acquired taste I suppose haha

I love the spider shots. Nice and crisp, just how macros should be.

Really glad you enjoyed them :D!

Most reactions

Back