tokina vs sigma wide angle lens

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Considering the similar price range, which of these three wide angle lenses would you choose on a D7100 and why?

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6D EX DC HSM

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX

Tokina 12-28mm Review

Why??? Better optics than the Tokina 12-24...for $100 more...a lens that covers FULL-frame from 18mm to 28mm....the extra 10 degrees angle of view difference between 24mm on the 12-24 and the 28mm on the 12-28mm means the newer lens has a "whole 'nother lens" in there...24mm is 24mm, and distorts people and objects placed at or near the edges of the frame on FF...28mm not nearly so much...

I think the 12-28mm is the better deal, and the better "lens" optically. Tokina, for its cooler, more-neutral color rfendition, and NOT Sigma, with its warm, yellowish color rendition. Color rendition can never be completely eliminated with white balance adjustments; it is an inherent property of the lens glass and how it's made. Sigmas are made for Canons. Tokina was started by a group of Nikon engineers who left Nikon and started their own lens-making company, and they strive for the cooler, more-neutral color rendition of Nikkors.

By getting the 12-28mm f/4 Tokina ATX, you get 1) better optics 2)wider range and a more-versatile lens 3) a DX-optimized lens that also shoots very well on high-rez Nikon FF.

The 11-16 mm is ONE thing: a wide zoom. NOT very versatile. A very,very narrow range. 12 to 28mm is a lens that can be used in a LOT of situations.

I rented the Tokina 11-16 this past weekend to use with my D7100 and did not care for it. It is VERY soft not only in the corners but also on the sides at f/2.8 and I did not think it got good until around f/8. At f/2.8 only the center portion was sharp. Also, Derrell is right 11-16 is a VERY short range.

Tokina 12-28mm Review

Why??? Better optics than the Tokina 12-24...for $100 more...a lens that covers FULL-frame from 18mm to 28mm....the extra 10 degrees angle of view difference between 24mm on the 12-24 and the 28mm on the 12-28mm means the newer lens has a "whole 'nother lens" in there...24mm is 24mm, and distorts people and objects placed at or near the edges of the frame on FF...28mm not nearly so much...

I think the 12-28mm is the better deal, and the better "lens" optically. Tokina, for its cooler, more-neutral color rfendition, and NOT Sigma, with its warm, yellowish color rendition. Color rendition can never be completely eliminated with white balance adjustments; it is an inherent property of the lens glass and how it's made. Sigmas are made for Canons. Tokina was started by a group of Nikon engineers who left Nikon and started their own lens-making company, and they strive for the cooler, more-neutral color rendition of Nikkors.

By getting the 12-28mm f/4 Tokina ATX, you get 1) better optics 2)wider range and a more-versatile lens 3) a DX-optimized lens that also shoots very well on high-rez Nikon FF.

The 11-16 mm is ONE thing: a wide zoom. NOT very versatile. A very,very narrow range. 12 to 28mm is a lens that can be used in a LOT of situations.

I'm glad that the OP asked this question and that you responded Derrel. I was looking this weekend at the Tonkina 11-16 and was very seriously considering it for my collection. I liked the 2.8 on that lens and thought that it would be good for a couple of applications.

I've been hemming and hawing and tossing around the idea of the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 which is for FX, and pretty large, and also the new 12-28 f/4, which is DX -optimized but also FX-capable from 18mm up to 28mm... I LIKE 24mm on FX, I LIKE 28mm on FX...for "me", and this is just "me", 20mm is plenty wide for most anything...the ex-wife got my 17-35...but uh...I dunno...I feel like buying a new lens, sort of. I don't NEED one, but I keep looking at those two,specific lenses...and also the Nikkor 16-35 f/4 VR...

I think the Tokina 12-28mm f/4 has been designed very smartly--with a wider-than-standard image circle, so as to be fully usable on DX and very much usable on FX across a very important range of lengths. We're entering into an era when there are more and more people moving to Full-Frame sensors, so the Tokina folks are smartly hedging their bets I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Derrel, I am a little confused. Are you saying that I could use the Tokina 12-28mm on a full frame, if I ever decided to upgrade body?

I own the tokina 11-16 f2.8 and is one of my favorite lenses by far and is so incredibly SHARP, it does vignette significantly though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back