480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stopped by the local brick-n-mortar toy store today just to see what was up. They tossed me this:

2015-08-27%2019.51.13.jpg

Said someone left it (Nikkor 200/4 Ai) under the seat of their truck for 3 years. Brought it in to see if it was worth fixing, and Nikon said how much it would be. He said, "Forget it!" and wanted to toss it. So they kept it and waited for me to darken their door.

What the heck, I thought! It's a free lens! It's at least worth trying to clean it up. These old lenses aren't that difficult to disassemble. So tonight, after supper, I cracked out the tools. Other than the dust on the front element, there was a lot of fungus on the rear of the second element.

2015-08-27%2019.53.09.jpg

A couple rounds of scrubbing cleaned that up nicely!

2015-08-27%2020.01.31.jpg

But more trouble lurked further in.

2015-08-27%2020.10.17.jpg

2015-08-27%2020.15.52.jpg

But still within reach of going in through where the aperture blades are. Several q-tips and some cleaning fluid later;

2015-08-27%2020.33.10.jpg

Reassemble, and I get a rather nice 200mm Ai out of the deal.

2015-08-27%2020.50.19.jpg

Yes, there's still some fungus further in, but not on the glass. And there is a slight amount between the front two elements. But heck. It's free!

I'll need to get a spanner wrench to take off the retaining ring between the front two elements, but that can easily wait for now. Now to take 'er out and shoot 'er (as opposed to it's fate as of this morning, and that was landfill fodder!)

I love saving old glass!

There is a bit of etching on the third element, but it's right along the edge and didn't get hit all that hard. You can see it in the next to last image. So I doubt it will impact IQ much.

I've had a spanner on my want list for quite a while. Time for me to pony up for one.

You're lucky ... I have lost 50% of the time against fungus.

It still may be a lost cause... there's still some further down I couldn't get to as I would need to go in from the mount end. But it's not on the glass, just along the edges of it. Plus there's a bit of spider-webbing between the first two elements, but not enough to affect IQ. That's what I'll need the spanner for.

Since it sat for three years under a truck seat, it probably hasn't seen much UV light. Storms are rolling in now, so it'll be early next week before I can let it set out and soak up some sun.

But heck, if it's lasted three years like this, a couple more weeks won't make a difference.

dennybeall said:
Spanner wrench HUH, that beats the dickins out of using a pair of needle nose pliers wide open..........

What the hell kinda' hack is that,Denny? Don't you know you're supposed to use a fine-bladed, flat head screwdriver and stick the tip of the blade into the spanner opening and then torque those rings off!? Jeeze! Some people...

lol

dennybeall said:
Spanner wrench HUH, that beats the dickins out of using a pair of needle nose pliers wide open..........

What the hell kinda' hack is that,Denny? Don't you know you're supposed to use a fine-bladed, flat head screwdriver and stick the tip of the blade into the spanner opening and then torque those rings off!? Jeeze! Some people...

lol

Tap it with an 8-oz ball peen; 12 oz if it's really tight. Make sure you soak that puppy in penetrating oil, first.

Most reactions

Back