Too Far?

Merciless crop to frame monarch and buddleia almost dead center. Then decide.

Very nice, but one for me.....
Thanks for your input…

Merciless crop to frame monarch and buddleia almost dead center. Then decide.
Sorry, I don’t understand why I would do that? The edit was to try to create more dramatic light for the whole scene.

Thanks for your input…

Sorry, I don’t understand why I would do that? The edit was to try to create more dramatic light for the whole scene.
With respect, I see a distracting background and flower lower left that pull the eye away from the butterfly and bloom. That hot spot above the monarch needs attention, too. Overall, too busy as shot. Try a tight square crop around the subject. There's a very attractive image in there waiting for you--and us! Your call, as always.

With respect, I see a distracting background and flower lower left that pull the eye away from the butterfly and bloom. That hot spot above the monarch needs attention, too. Overall, too busy as shot. Try a tight square crop around the subject. There's a very attractive image in there waiting for you--and us! Your call, as always.
Thanks for explaining what you meant.

I prefer #1 as well. In #2 the butterfly (at least with my eyes) blends with the background. #1 allows me to see the butterfly better. I fully understand what cgw was saying #2 is too distracting for me. It is pretty but makes me look all over it and not focus on the butterfly.

I concur, #1 for me also.

Sharon, the monarch has mostly warm hues. Along with brightening your bg, you might think about color temperature contrast and alter the bg colors to cool hues, while warming more those in the monarch. I've forgotten which editing apps you use. I think back at Flickr you have a version of this where you've cropped in more closely? If not this particular shot, then a similar one.

Most reactions

Back