Too good to be true?

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was recently looking on Fleabay for a used, but still semi-decent P&S. I didn't want to spend much more than $50-60. In my search I came across a BenQ G1, which there doesn't seem to be much information about. I used to have a Canon SX120is, which I liked, so I'd like something semi similar. My main use is not have to lug my DSLR around everywhere (D7000 and 28-105 f/2.8 get a bit heavy). Anyways, since there isn't much in the way of images on Flickr and not many reviews of the camera, I figured I'd ask those who are far more knowledgeable than I.

BenQ G1 14MP 4X Optical HD 3.0" LCD Swivel Screen Camera & Leather Case Bundle

Specifications
• Sensor: Panasonic 14 Mega Pixels, 1/2.3 inch CMOS
• Zoom: Optical: 4.6x
• Digital: Up to 6x (Preview) / Up to 12x (Playback)
• Lens: f = 4.3 (W) ~ 19.8 (T) mm , F= 1.8 (W) ~ 4.9 (T), (f = 24~110mm, 35mm equivalent)
• Focus Range: Normal: W=30cm ~ Infinity ; T=60cm ~ Infinity
• LCD: 3.0” 920k pixels swivel LCD
• 1080p video
• Max shutter speed 1/2000, slowest: 15sec.
• Exposure: –2.0 ~ +2.0 EV (0.3EV / step)
• ISO: 100-6400
• Flash: Auto Flash, Auto Anti Red-eye, Force On, Slow Sync, Forced Off
• Dimensions/Weight: 114 x 62.5 x 25.5 mm, 195g ( w/o battery & SD card)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's only a 4.3 mm focal length at the wide end so it should be fairly easy to get f 1.8 - the aperture diameter would be about 3.2 mm if I've got my maths right.

It's only a 4.3 mm focal length at the wide end so it should be fairly easy to get f 1.8 - the aperture diameter would be about 3.2 mm if I've got my maths right.

Pretty sure it's 4.3mm/1.8, so 2.38mm aperature diameter? I'm not as concerned about the aperture as much as I am the image quality.

Any way, f/ ratio is not the primary inquiry of the OP's post so let's not get hung up on the math of f/ratios.

OP: there are a few reviews of this device on the web. Seems to be pretty well received by the reviewers. To me it looks like a "bubble pack" camera often seen at the "electronics" departments of big box stores. For the price don't expect top shelf big name features or reputation but I suppose you'll find that what's "in the box" is as described "on the box".

Any way, f/ ratio is not the primary inquiry of the OP's post so let's not get hung up on the math of f/ratios.

OP: there are a few reviews of this device on the web. Seems to be pretty well received by the reviewers. To me it looks like a "bubble pack" camera often seen at the "electronics" departments of big box stores. For the price don't expect top shelf big name features or reputation but I suppose you'll find that what's "in the box" is as described "on the box".
That's what I thought, I'll just wait for a Canon G series.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back