Took off UV filter, walaa.. crisp pictures

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was frustrated at getting OOF pictures with my 70-200 lens. After reading reviews saying it's actually pretty sharp, I finally got fed up today and took off the UV filter just to try. WOW it is so much sharper.

I remember back to Sabbath999's post about cheap UV filters...but this is a Hoya. Any ideas? Do I just fork over another fifty-something bucks, or do I just not use one?

Is it the S-HMC?
Perhaps if it's not that good, go for the B+W or something...

probably a horrible filter, or it was just way too dirty.

Hmmmmm. May be the filter. Your lens is only as good as the cheapest piece of glass. I had a cheapo Sunpak on my EF 180 f/3.5 L macro that came with it so I used it. What a POS. I thought "ohh it's just clear glass so what's the problem?" Was actually told that by an employee at the local camera shop. Needless to say, I no longer seek his advice. I now use Hoya Pro1 Digital HMC filters for my lenses and i still get pretty darn clear images with or without them.

Hoya have about 4 models of the same filter, and brand name means nothing when the brand produces crap filters for a consumer market

The Standards are ****, the HMC are better, but still poor. The S-HMC are neutral, and aside from a single ghost image when shooting into the light I haven't found it to noticeably degrade anything. The Pro1 filters are just sold on hype, and for this money you may as well get a B+W.

I highly recommend you swap all your filters for S-HMC or pick a different brand.

ok it's probably a cheap filter.

Combined with fingerprints.......

Nah.. I was wheeling and dealing with the company I bought my 70-200 from and convinced them to throw in a Hoya UV filter... I'll bet you anything they didn't throw in a nice one. No biggie... free :)

I was using a $20 UV filter on my 18-135, took it off, what a difference. I have a $30 polarizer on my 180mm, I'm gonna take it off probably. Sick of it. Filters can be really handicapping. Of course, less-quality for more protection? Yeah...I'd stick with a filter on your most expensive glass.

I was using a $20 UV filter on my 18-135, took it off, what a difference. I have a $30 polarizer on my 180mm, I'm gonna take it off probably. Sick of it. Filters can be really handicapping. Of course, less-quality for more protection? Yeah...I'd stick with a filter on your most expensive glass.

Try $165 for a slim B+W CPL. None of my 'good' glass gets a UV filter at this time. The lens hoods are always attached though and I am extremely careful.

Where I shoot, what I shoot and mostly outdoors, I wouldn't be without a UV filter. Just being safe.

Now these threads are demanding that I do a lens test with my next new L lens. With and without the UV filter. Because once I check a lens with a magnifying light and make sure it's perfectly spotless, the filter goes on for the life of the lens. So I wouldn't want to take it off again.

Since I've always had a UV or Skylight on every lens, on every camera for about 40 years, and I never had sharpness problems, I've got to see this for myself. Of course the obvious, I'm getting older, my eyes aren't as good, maybe I can't see the loss of detail! :lol: My old film cameras and lenses were never as good as what I shoot now, so another reason why I wouldn't have seen anything wrong.

I just can't believe that a filter would make a easily seen difference, unless it has creeping crud on it, or it's like some old wavy window glass or has delaminated.

Filters are a glass sandwich, with the filter material in the middle. Those expensive filters are probably all glass, which is very costly to produce.

No filters on my SLR lenses (except an occasional ND), just lens hoods.

Try $165 for a slim B+W CPL. None of my 'good' glass gets a UV filter at this time. The lens hoods are always attached though and I am extremely careful.

Damn, $165 to get less-quality. That's no good. I feel like my glass is protected with the lens hood anyways. I mean, dust removal is the only time my glass gets touched, and that's a careful process. Or at least, it's supposed to be.

In a perfect world yes. I'm not going to sell any of you the idea of a UV filter. Murphy's law will do that for you.

I've never touched the front element of my 80-200 f/2.8 and always use it with a hood. But that didn't stop a volleyball from splashing water all over the front of it, and it would stop the neighbours lawnmower from flinging a rock at it, or some kid in a park tripping over and smacking it with something sharp they were holding it at the time.

By all means it's a risk you take. A risk I don't, for a measly $100. And you're kidding yourself if a B+W filter is going to cost you quality in your photos.

In a perfect world yes. I'm not going to sell any of you the idea of a UV filter. Murphy's law will do that for you.

I've never touched the front element of my 80-200 f/2.8 and always use it with a hood. But that didn't stop a volleyball from splashing water all over the front of it, and it would stop the neighbours lawnmower from flinging a rock at it, or some kid in a park tripping over and smacking it with something sharp they were holding it at the time.

By all means it's a risk you take. A risk I don't, for a measly $100. And you're kidding yourself if a B+W filter is going to cost you quality in your photos.
I agree I have had a few things make it past the lense hoods. The problem with most is they dont buy quality filters, for their quality glass.

I had a Hoya HMC on my 70-200 which I was not pleased with (although they are certainly much better than the cheap Hoyas), and when I replaced it with B+W and I noticed a HUGE increase in sharpness.

The first time I shot this $1700 lens a zebra slupped up a huge glob of mud that splashed right through the lens hood and BLAMMO right smack in the middle of my lens.

Man am I glad that I had a filter on it!

Most reactions

Back