Torn between Ricoh XR 7 and Canon AE 1

whatsexposure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, before I say anything else I just want to say that I'm new to the forum so please let me know if I don't follow the rules!
I'm just getting into photography, so I have to buy a camera. I'm trying to decide between Ricoh XR 7 and Canon AE 1. Which one is more suitable for me?

With the Ricoh XR 7 I also receive these lenses:
Ricoh XR Rikenon Zoom lens. 35-70mm 1:3.5 Macro
Albinar ADG MC lens. 80-200mm 1:4.5~5.6 Macro
Kenko 2X APK Teleplus MC4

And with the Canon AE 1:
28-80mm/3.3-4.5
75-150mm/3.8

Please help me make the best choice! Thank you so much everyone!

Joseph

Why those two cameras? If you specifically want to go into film photography, then I would look for a Canon AE-1 Program, or Pentax ME Super; both can be had from second-hand and pawn shops or Craig's List for very little money, and the list of really good legacy glass and accessories (also cheap) is virtually endless.

Of your two listed above, since you don't say what the make of lenses are with the Canon, I'll assume that they are in fact Canon lenses and based on that, would suggest that as a better package than the Ricoh package with the third-party long lens. All of that aside however, it's very difficult to make any useful recommendation without knowing more about what you want to do, and what aspects of photography interest you.

Those two are what I could find on kijiji haha.
But apparently it'll be easier to learn on a DSLR, so that's where I'll be headed instead of film now I guess.

if you own a Nikon go for a Nikon camera an F100 can autofocus with any of the recent G lenses and you can go lower(cheaper) if you want MF only or a camera that just handles D lenses and lower etc or rather if you intend to go into digital (you dont specify much) again go for Nikon and it allows you to keep any lens you use through both mediums

I have a nikon F100 I will gladly sell you.

Thanks for your great tip! I think I'll be buying a DSLR though, just to start me off. Maybe after I get the hang of taking pictures I'll venture into film photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back