total beginner - C&C

barleymalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased my first camera (a D5000) a few days ago. All these are shot with the kit 18-55VR as I'm till waiting for my tamron 18-270 to arrive.

Please let me know what you think!

4767725818_63d9f67936_b.jpg

4767725728_5ff12a7c7a_b.jpg

4767725604_495879d9ea_b.jpg

Last edited:
Some interesting shots here, good job. You might want to think about controlling tilt (horizon parallel with photo horizontal lines, unless you intentionally avoid it). A few of the shots are underexposed, sometimes due to a subject with back lighting. Some fill flash can be possible, etc.

Peter
--
Tallahassee Photographer
Tallahassee Wedding Photographers

Thanks. I've been having a hard time shooting skies with a foreground motive. It seems either the motive is almost a silhuette or the sky starts blowing out and sometimes just ends up completely white.

By the way, is it just me or are half my images unavailable all of a sudden. Anyone know why this keeps happening? Works fine right after I add the links and then they start dropping out one by one. I can view the photos on my flickr.

Anyways, here's a link to my flickr to see them all Flickr: barleymalt's Photostream

Thanks. I've been having a hard time shooting skies with a foreground motive. It seems either the motive is almost a silhuette or the sky starts blowing out and sometimes just ends up completely white.
Hence fill-flash. Check your camera's manual to see if it talks about how the flash functions in certain settings. For example, with some cameras, in program (P) mode, the camera will automatically assume that the flash is the primary source of light and select its exposure settings accordingly, while in Av mode, it assumes that the subject is already lit and the flash is being used for fill. You could also set your flash compensation through your camera's menu system. This is also helpful for removing harsh shadows on a subject's face in bright lighting. Just remember that you're using digital, so it costs you exactly nothing to experiment with different combinations of settings; therefore, experiment as much as possible :)

If you're getting scenarios where you're taking a landscape shot and the sky is coming out correctly exposed but your foreground is dark and underexposed, you can use a graduated neutral density filter to even it out.

I can't see flickr accounts at work, so I can't comment on your photos specifically; those are just a few things to keep in mind.

Definitely gonna pick up one of those filters, sounds like exactly what I need.

Think the links are sorted now..

Most reactions

Back