Total eclipse...what do I need?

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided I might try to photograph the eclipse. We will have totality, what's the best way to do this? I really want to enjoy the experience and not worry about getting the perfect shot. I have just about every lens, what's best? ...what filter should I get for protection? Thanks in advance! ☀️🌑

Oh I'll be using a Sony, mirrorless! A couple photos from my cell of our partial eclipse this past fall.

Attachments

• PXL_20231014_165907111.jpg
    PXL_20231014_165907111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231014_165535432.jpg
    PXL_20231014_165535432.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20231014_165436846.jpg
    PXL_20231014_165436846.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
First, you'll want to glasses for the eclipse: Amazon.com

Second, it's pretty easy to make a filter to fit over the end of your lens/camera. Here is information about shooting the eclipse: How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse | Nikon.

Third, check the weather as it gets closer. Last time I saw a weather report, much of that day is supposed to be cloudy. So you may not be able to actually see the eclipse, it will just get darker.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First, you'll want to glasses for the eclipse: Amazon.com

Second, it's pretty easy to make a filter to fit over the end of your lens/camera. Here is information about shooting the eclipse: How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse | Nikon.

Third, check the weather as it gets closer. Last time I saw a weather report, much of that day is supposed to be cloudy. So you may not be able to actually see the eclipse, it will just get darker.
Lolz! That article basically says shoot every shutter speed from 1/30-1/4000 and see what works best! Have you ever shot in totality?

I'd rather purchase a filter since I rely on my camera daily for work.

I've got the glasses! Thanks for that...very important 🙏 I really hope for good, clear weather 🙏

I understand about the desire to protect your camera. But if you're in the zone of Totality, you aren't going to leave the filter on continuously. You start with it on, it comes off, then it goes back on. And the deal about shutter speed--that will need to change depending upon whether you're in Totality or not.

I understand about the desire to protect your camera. But if you're in the zone of Totality, you aren't going to leave the filter on continuously. You start with it on, it comes off, then it goes back on. And the deal about shutter speed--that will need to change depending upon whether you're in Totality or not.
Yes, I guess that does make sense now that I think about it that way. I forgot that you don't need the filter for totality. I actually forgot that I do have a filter. I haven't used it very much...I'm pretty sure it's this one: Tiffen 77VND 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter for Camera Lenses, Black Amazon.com

Do you think that will be dark enough? It doesn't fit my long lenses so I guess I'd be stuck with a wide angle...I want to say this fits my 16-35.

I'd really love some inspiration photos of anyone who's had experience!

Great to see you, Paige! Hope all is well. :586:

Good luck with shooting this eclipse. It's promising to be a good one - conjuring up lots of interest.

Yes, I guess that does make sense now that I think about it that way. I forgot that you don't need the filter for totality. I actually forgot that I do have a filter. I haven't used it very much...I'm pretty sure it's this one: Tiffen 77VND 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter for Camera Lenses, Black Amazon.com

Do you think that will be dark enough? It doesn't fit my long lenses so I guess I'd be stuck with a wide angle...I want to say this fits my 16-35.

I'd really love some inspiration photos of anyone who's had experience!
Hi Paige,

What I've seen says that for a ND filter, you need at least at 15-stop filter to be able to shoot the stages of the eclipse safely.

You can get a sheet of solar filter film very inexpensively. And then you tape it to the end of your camera/telescope/binoculars. And then you're in totality, pull off one end of the tape. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS7IFQS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A6KN96PWX6OA7&th=1

And the advantage of using the film is that you can use whatever lens you want to (rather than letting your filter dictate what you use).

And you wanted some photos for inspiration? There are some cool composite photos showing the progression from partial eclipse to totality. But here's one I shot that is easily accessible. There was a partial eclipse and I had a day gig so I only had my phone. I stepped outside during a break. And I took a selfie of the reflection of the crescent on my cheek.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.43.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.43.04 PM.png
    615.4 KB · Views: 1
I made a filter using this,

for a ND filter you will need a ND100000, yes that dark.

for a ND filter you will need a ND100000, yes that dark.
How do I know how dark my filter goes? I'm so mad that I cannot find my order history so I'm not sure exactly what filter I have.

Attachments

• 17117329156254191434820500775439.jpg
    17117329156254191434820500775439.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 1
Standard variable ND’s are not likely to go that dark. Most solar filters are anywhere from 16 to 20 f-stops darker. If I stack all 4 of my ND’s together I can get only get 6 stops darker. Which is enough for normal use but not solar.

Thank you for all the help. I now understand the make your own filter much better. Unfortunately the link you sent won't arrive in time so I got this one Baader AstroSolar Visual Solar Filter Film (ND 5) - Eco Size Piece 140x155mm (5.5x6.1") # 2459286 Amazon.com

Wish me luck and no rain! I'll share photos, weather permitting 🙏🌑☀️

Thank you for all the help. I now understand the make your own filter much better. Unfortunately the link you sent won't arrive in time so I got this one Baader AstroSolar Visual Solar Filter Film (ND 5) - Eco Size Piece 140x155mm (5.5x6.1") # 2459286 Amazon.com

Wish me luck and no rain! I'll share photos, weather permitting 🙏🌑☀️
That's the same stuff I bought. Follow the instructions carefully. You can't stretch it, it has to look loose when mounted in your homemade frame.

IMG_2472 (1).jpg
IMG_2473 (1).jpg
IMG_2474 (1).jpg

The weather has decided not to cooperate, and we'll have overcast skies in North Texas. 😒
Don't despair just yet! Mine has gone from full sun>severe storms>cloudy>partly cloudy>rain. We're currently setting at mostly cloudy. I did see a report last night through that said the Cleveland area would probably have the best chance, almost the entire path is going to be cloudy. I'm glad all I spent $ on was filter material and disposable glasses, I feel bad for anyone who booked travel.

Most reactions

Back