Total Newb Move

ahtchristina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please tell me someone else has done this...

I have a Canon PowerShot S3 IS. I like it, so please don't knock it. We got it 5 years ago when our first child was born so we could chronicle his childhood.

Did I ever read the manual??? HECK NO!!!

I found I enjoy photography but griped that this thing is a point and shoot and I can't change any settings on it.

Finally downloaded the manual today, and whaddya know? Those FIVE settings I've never used on the knob on top? Turns out they do stuff like let me change aperture and shutter speed.

Coulda made my life a whole lot easier, huh?

Total NEWB.

I have a decent point and shoot that I only use for fun stuff and now that I have my Canon DSLR, my son took over my point and shoot for his lego You Tube videos. I also found out my little point and shoot, even shoots RAW, has WB settings...etc...

My dear, you have one step down from a DSLR. You get to do all of the same things a DSLR can do with all of the toys of a point and shoot.

Please tell me someone else has done this...
Tens of thousands have done that.

Nikon quit printing a user's manual hard copy for the 'baby' DSLR Nikon's, because so few read the user's manual. They just put the user's manual on the software disc instead.

I have a P&S that has a manual mode, but its a huge PIA to use.

i have never read the manual for any of my point & shoots.

i only discovered a few weeks back that one of them has a manual mode. one of them is basically a bridge.

my two pocket cams have so many features that i've never bothered to even think about learning them.

but, my dslr.... i read the manual three times while waiting for it to arrive in the mail. and once it arrived, i went through the manual twice more, with camera in hand.

and there is still stuff that i don't understand, or haven't tried yet.

My dear, you have one step down from a DSLR. You get to do all of the same things a DSLR can do with all of the toys of a point and shoot.

Not really. You can adjust setting but usually the adjustments are rather limited. But this is better then not being able to adjust anything at all.

Most reactions

Back