Total Newb Question

Tyler Durden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somehow someway my AEB has set itself to -1 and I cant for the life of me figure out how to center it back to zero. I didnt set it there and have no clue how it was changed? Its a canon 40D. Any help would be great guys!

Ok, I just figured it out. I had to switch it to a different white balance other than auto and then it let me change it? I guess my question now is why is the camera set to do this?

You sure you don't mean exposure compensation? You can change that (while in Av mode) by holding the little Av button while turning the scrolly wheel thing (like how you would change the aperture when in manual mode). At least, this is how it is for 400d, I assume pretty similar system on 40d.

fokker: the rebels are different than the XXd's. found that out when coming from the xsi.

tyler: push the shutter down half way (like to autofocus), then turn the back wheel clockwise/counterclockwise to adjust the exposure compensation.

you can also bring up the menu and flip through the tabs until you see it. you can also setup a custom function of the * button. i have mine setup to take a reading only instead of actually triggering the af. that way i can set ev very quickly. i also assigned ev/aeb to the func button so i can gain access to bracketing quite quickly.

all of these are options for ya. just poke around a bit, and play with settings. :)

fokker: the rebels are different than the XXd's. found that out when coming from the xsi.

tyler: push the shutter down half way (like to autofocus), then turn the back wheel clockwise/counterclockwise to adjust the exposure compensation.

you can also bring up the menu and flip through the tabs until you see it. you can also setup a custom function of the * button. i have mine setup to take a reading only instead of actually triggering the af. that way i can set ev very quickly. i also assigned ev/aeb to the func button so i can gain access to bracketing quite quickly.

all of these are options for ya. just poke around a bit, and play with settings. :)

Got it! Pressing the shutter down half way was about the only thing I didnt try! I sat here looking at my box with the manual in it and decided I would be much easier to just ask on here :mrgreen: Thanks guys!

You didn't read the manual when it was within reach?

Hear me out... RTFM, ie, read the manual. Lots of things you'll discover. Even pro models come with manuals, aye, and they're for reasons. ;)

Most reactions

Back