Total newbie shoots "ghostly" Death Valley in B&W

AlbertoDeRoma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just spent 3 days in Death Valley and took quite a few pictures. Below are a handful of my favorites (in B&W.)

Feedback and recommendations are welcome as I am a beginner.

Thanks,

Alberto

Ghostmobile

L1010932.JPG

Ghost Train

GhostTrain2.JPG

Ghost Bicyclist

L1010666.JPG

Ghost House

L1010508.JPG

Ravens Kissing

L1010978.JPG

I really like the first one: Ghostmobile. You should just level the horizon. It would be interesting to see more of the Ghost Train.

I agree with brian about the first one. Also with a title like ghost bicyclist I was hoping to see more of the bike. Putting it in a portait orientation rather than landscape may have helped this. Although I'm a cyclist so I may be biased :lol:.
Overall I really like them especially the first.

I really like the first one: Ghostmobile. You should just level the horizon. It would be interesting to see more of the Ghost Train.

Thanks for the feedback Brian. That's exactly what I was looking for (i.e. I hadn't even noticed that the horizon was not leveled.)

Alberto

I agree with brian about the first one. Also with a title like ghost bicyclist I was hoping to see more of the bike. Putting it in a portait orientation rather than landscape may have helped this. Although I'm a cyclist so I may be biased :lol:.
Overall I really like them especially the first.

Thanks. Very good point about the cropping on the bicycle and using a portrait orientation.

Alberto

I like the suggestions above, and just wanted to add that I also really like "Ghost House"!

Thank you. I know that putting the house in the middle of the frame was not very creative on my part, but other compositions did not work and - in this case - centering the subject seemed like the right thing. What I found interesting in this picture was the contrast and detail of the wood boards.

Alberto

The Ghost Bicycle one is pretty good. I like it because of the creep factor and how it's like old school and everything looks deserted. How did it stay in form like that. Nice
TJ

Yeah, Ghost House is my favourite out of all. Could have used a touch more sky, maybe. If you would have been able to get a closer shot of Ravens Kissing without scaring them off, that would have made a pretty awesome photo... but still very good as-is.

Yeah, Ghost House is my favourite out of all. Could have used a touch more sky, maybe. If you would have been able to get a closer shot of Ravens Kissing without scaring them off, that would have made a pretty awesome photo... but still very good as-is.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you on the House needing a bit more sky. It would have been easier to think of at the time if there were some interesting clouds, but the sky was pretty much monochromatic blue - albeit a wonderful blue.

As far as the ravens kissing go, I tried to move closer, but they flew away. It was one of several instances where I did miss having a zoom - but on this trip I forced myself to stick to just the D-Lux 4 to see how far I could go with it. It has become pretty obvious to me that it's great for some shots (e.g. landscape, street scenes, portraits, etc.) but I also need a zoom to catch some shots where my feet can't get me close enough to the subject.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Alberto

That is a neat old car, crooked shot.
Bring your white level up just a little bit, nice shot.

Most reactions

Back