Tough Decision

aXaki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im really confused between Sony alpha SLT A37 with kit lens (18-55) or Sony Cyber-shot HX200V and Nikon P510

what i want is a very good focus to take portraits of me and my fiance

and landscapes because i travel a lot :)

i dont care about the size or weight

quality > zoom

note: this is the very first camera that i ever buy :D

sorry about my english its not my first language ^^

I would get a DSLR, if that's the case. More room for you to grow in to, and just more than you can do with it in general.

I wouldn't buy an SLT, personally, like the A37 you mentioned. I would instead opt for an optical viewfinder. Nikon and Canon are worth looking at too.

Hands down the a37!!!

The other cameras you mentioned are super zoom with smaller sensor, not comparison the a37 while is Sony entry level DSLR is still aDSLR with an excellent croped sensor.

okay, thanks for the quick replies ^^
but what do you guys suggest because i have a tight budget ^^
for nikon, canon or sony ?
and is it a bad idea to buy a used dslr ? (because i heard some stories about shutter life)

i need a cheap dslr ^^

If you're looking for a superzoom, I'd go with either the Nikon or Canon SX40, you could find both online for $250 used. If you think your ready for a dslr then go that route. I think with the Canon sx40 you'll be all set for a while.

As far as cheap dslr, you could find canons xti xsi and similar models fairly affordable used.

What about sony Alpha A700k i saw some good cheap ones ? its a dSLR too ^^

aXaki said:
What about sony Alpha A700k i saw some good cheap ones ? its a dSLR too ^^

Let me modify my original statement: I would never buy a Sony camera ever again.

If that's what your heart is set on and you REALLY like Sony, go for it. Be prepared to spend more on glass (unless you use only Minolta lenses), and be prepared for the lack of availability of used equipment.

If you go Canon or Nikon, those issues will not exist.

can u suggest a good nikon/canon camera with good quality not more than 300 GBP with lens ofcourse ^^
used is no problem just suggest a good camera for me ^^

Nikon D3100 is a nice entry level camera and if you can afford it then the D5100 is one level above it and is a fantastic camera.

aXaki said:
can u suggest a good nikon/canon camera with good quality not more than 300 GBP with lens ofcourse ^^
used is no problem just suggest a good camera for me ^^

40D, 50D, 5D mark I, Rebel T1i, T2i. All good starter cameras

okay, thanks for the quick replies ^^
but what do you guys suggest because i have a tight budget ^^
for nikon, canon or sony ?
and is it a bad idea to buy a used dslr ? (because i heard some stories about shutter life)

i need a cheap dslr ^^

You won't find a better DSLR on a budget than a Sony Alpha. Way more bang for your buck. Don't listen to tyler, his sole purpose is to come into the Sony subforum and troll all day long.

I didn't even check what forum this is in. I saw it in current threads on my phone. Stop getting so angry about Sony being inconvenient for a photographer to get into the field with. Everything I said was true. He asked about cameras other than just Sony too, btw.

I didn't even check what forum this is in. I saw it in current threads on my phone. Stop getting so angry about Sony being inconvenient for a photographer to get into the field with. Everything I said was true. He asked about cameras other than just Sony too, btw.

What? :lmao: How do you figure. Are we talking about pro's or someone that's buying their first DSLR? Because if it's the latter the Sony is the better option. Having a live view EVF takes all the guess work out of it and drastically reduces the learning curve.

As far as your lens argument, I just looked up 70-200's for sony and cannon. The cannon glass with IS is $500 more than the 70-200 from sony. :lmao: that has to be considered since all A-mount lenses effectively have IS.

The only think you might be right about is the availability of used equipment.

And I just thought you liked to whine alot.

okay now since im sticking with Sony alpha again
i have to choose between a37 or a390 or a450 or a700 (I know that it has CCD sensor but maybe it will take better pics cuz its in a better camer compared to the a37 ?? *just wonderin*)
not to mention that the EVF of the a37 is so bad 800x600 :/
and lcd has horrible resolution aswell

so somebody advise me im losing my mind here ^^

i need camera that takes pro pictures, and im good with technology cuz im a geek :D (Developer) so i will adjust quickly with the camera

Note: I wont be changing the lens soon.
If you guys found any cheap used sony camera for sale plz link me ^^ (anywhere in europe tho)

didnt like canon or nikon starters cameras sorry tyler :/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back