TPF Across America - The Journey of One Lens Across the USA - Round 2

So honestly thebasedsloth stole the lens?

I messaged him back in October explaining that I was in his area for a few months and I'd be happy to pick it up. He messaged back saying he was waiting to hear from Mark. Personally, it's just straight up shady. I'm completely mind blown when someone doesn't have $5 to mail to the next town over (he and Mark are in neighboring towns) and even more blown when Mark makes his quarterly thread appearance to inform us how busy he has been. It's lack of time management. If you have time to sleep, you have time to send a PM on an internet site.

I PMed thebasedsloth (3 times!) with the next person's address and nothing has happened.

Hi Mark! Saw you were logged in since the last post in this thread. Care to explain what's going on?

Hm.

Well this is a sad turn of events, isn't it? I guess it would help no one to give excuses for my absence. Life just kind of got in the way. 19 credits, 2 jobs and a photo business just after a move can be a little crazy for a while. But, like it was pointed out oh so eloquently by a lovely supporter, it only takes a few minutes to update a post. So, I guess you're right.

Anywho, the good news is that the lens is officially back. The bad news is that there has been a Round 3 started. For this, I'm quite disappointed. When I started this thread initially, I at least had the courtesy of asking the previous owner if he wouldn't mind me rehabbing the thread. I was given no such courtesy. An email would have been nice, guys. But, I can understand your frustration. The past is the past, I guess.

Lastly, as for thebasedsloth getting some backlash, shame on you guys. He was respecting my lens, and respecting our project. Honestly, it was an act of kindness and respect on his part to hang on to the lens after I told him I would pick it up to get things rolling again...again.

So, I don't know what else to say. I have a mixed pot of emotions about all of this. Throw your ideas and comments my way.

Mark

courtesy is not a one way street......many attempts to reach both you and sloth went unanswered for months.Disappointed in us???Please....

Anywho, the good news is that the lens is officially back. The bad news is that there has been a Round 3 started. For this, I'm quite disappointed.

Mark

courtesy is not a one way street......many attempts to reach both you and sloth went unanswered for months.Disappointed in us???Please....

Well, no. What I said was that I was disappointed. Not that I was disappointed in you guys. And I followed that with "I can understand your frustration." So, there are no hard feelings. I understand that the world doesn't stop spinning. People will move on around you. I get all of that. I'm not attacking anyone. I realize that it's my fault and I take responsibility for that. There's no reason to be defensive/offensive in every single post made. After all, we are supposed to be a photographic community here.

I guess the main point in this thread now is to gauge interest in the project. I will take the next few days and decide where I stand, but I also want to know what you guys think too.

Mark

Markw said:
SNIP>>>I guess the main point in this thread now is to gauge interest in the project. I will take the next few days and decide where I stand, but I also want to know what you guys think too.

Mark

Seems like there's still interest. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ges/349793-lens-across-america-round-3-a.html

Right. I feel like we've all come so far with this project and jumped over so many hurdles. It would make for a great story and venture if we could see this through. In this thread. With this lens. I'm just taking note to see if that ship has sailed.

Mark

...I at least had the courtesy of asking the previous owner if he wouldn't mind me rehabbing the thread. I was given no such courtesy. An email would have been nice...

I think there was a lot of discussion about your wishes and there were several attempts at contacting you. Sparky mentioned that he didn't want to step on your toes. But when everyone was seeing that you had logged into the forum several times, but had not responded or even acknowledged everyone's frustration, why would you consider starting a Round 3 as being disrespectful? We're not talking about days, more like months.

I know. And it sounds ridiculous. I'd be feeling the same way. To be fair, I have no idea where the logons came from. Maybe I left a tab open someplace on another computer. I've been making a lot of work lately, and I would have posted it if I had been on.

But, like you said, why should you trust me? All I can say is to look at my history on the forum. It's not 14,000 posts like Sparky. But it's been quite some time.

That being said, I have great respect for Sparky. Certainly no hard feelings toward him either.

A continuation of this project would mean a reworking of the structure as well, of course. But, that's only if you guys decide on it.

Mark

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

page 27....April of 2012 was the last time this lens saw movement.In 9 months there's been 12 pages of inquiries.....just sayin'

...and should Pt.2 continue,thats great....but I've signed on to Pt.3....

Last edited:
Hopefully there's enough interest in both projects that they both can proceed. I certainly never intended LOA III to compete with LOA II. Since it did appear LOA II was 'Lost In Space', I took it upon myself to launch Round III. I decided not to use Flickr and use a Group on Panoramio to help avoid any confusion. Both projects are out there, and let's all do our best to make both succeed.

Suffice it to say at this point: Enough pointing fingers, enough laying blame, enough excuses... let's get back to clicking shutters and posting great images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back