TPF Photo Challenge - July '11: "The Sky Above Me"

Discussion in 'The Photo Challenge' started by Chris of Arabia, Jul 1, 2011.

1. tallpez

tallpez TPF Noob!

I'm in as well (already submitted). I'm new, but I love the enjoy. Good excuse to get me to shoot things I normally never even think about shooting too. I'm sure to some of the seasoned pros $25 isn't worth it, and neither is the time - but if you hobbyists, this is a great chance to get pushed to try new things.

2. DGImagery

DGImagery TPF Noob!

Agree with tallpez....I'm in! 25 bucks will by me "photography for dummies"!! Maybe... LOL

3. ericalynn

ericalynn TPF Noob!

Yay!! I finally figured out how to reply to threads on my phone...I missed the email where I had to confirm my registration!! I'm new to forum and can't wait to participate on the TPF photo challenge contests!! I think this is a really fun idea and I can definitely find something to do with $25 amazon voucher!!!

4. ericalynn

ericalynn TPF Noob!

Where do the albums go so you can see the photographs that are entered? I tried to fin a previous months and do not see...

5. tallpez

tallpez TPF Noob!

Hope I didn't miss this as well, tried to check through my email and didn't see one yet. May not have come through.

6. anaugi

anaugi TPF Noob!

This may be a stupid question but how can i resize my image to 150kb? It is now about the size of a postage stamp and it says 800+kb, it seems more like a raffle if the image that you are submitting cannot even be seen? I must be doing something wrong. Is there a program that i can put my picture in and it will spit out an image that can be submitted?

7. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes the 150kb limit does really make it hard to make a nice photo look at its best but everyone has the same handicap and rules is rules. What software are you using anaugi?

8. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You need to set "jpg compression" as well. ;) Simple resizing won't work as you can see for yourself.

9. six66picupstyxx

six66picupstyxx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm very excited to see the entries; I suspect there will be some great images with such a varying challenge topic.

10. butterflygirl921

butterflygirl921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    y limit us to 150kb you are destroying the quality of the photo 1mb would be far more reasonable because it would allow us to show some quality in the photos

11. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    you can come down with quite a big (in size) photo below 150 pretty easy. But first it is good to know about the maths that is hidden behind Jpeg compression and thecosine transform.
    In Photoshop it is really fine to resize an image (Image -> Resize) to make the longer side of about 1024 px (enough for displaying on screen in such contests). Then use the option File - >Save for web and devices. Select Jpeg compression and you can easily go down to 60%. Check "optimize" option and with such small resolutions you may easily uncheck "Progressive" checkbox and blur the photo (value of about 0.12 ). This way you will be around 100kilos.

12. butterflygirl921

butterflygirl921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

what i was saying is it destroys the quality of the photo and the detail