What's new

Trail Mix

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments and Critiques are always welcome. I just wanted this "Type" of shot, and I'm relatively pleased with it. Not sure on the lighting, and I wish I had more "piles."


Trail Mix by f_one_eight, on Flickr


Best,
Jake
 
I actually think the number of piles is just fine, maybe even one less, like just having one in the middle.

I like the processing. It gives it a some sort of "all natural" feeling.

My only real critique, would be in the lighting. I think the large shadows on the piles really hurts their definition. If you were using a two light setup, I'd boost the fill, or use a reflector. If it's natural light, I'd at least make sure you're using a reflector to lighten up the shadows.
 
I actually think the number of piles is just fine, maybe even one less, like just having one in the middle.

I like the processing. It gives it a some sort of "all natural" feeling.

My only real critique, would be in the lighting. I think the large shadows on the piles really hurts their definition. If you were using a two light setup, I'd boost the fill, or use a reflector. If it's natural light, I'd at least make sure you're using a reflector to lighten up the shadows.

Maybe that's what it was. The lighting was an umbrella camera left(main), and a gridded sb600 camera right(fill).

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
lighting is not good and you are aware of that. It's too strong and you need to pay attention on shadows.

next...

piles are not organized and well placed. you have to think about symmetry or asymmetry if you are shooting from this angle.
when organizing those piles you have to think also about their color and texture, which one one to put where
 
lighting is not good and you are aware of that. It's too strong and you need to pay attention on shadows.

next...

piles are not organized and well placed. you have to think about symmetry or asymmetry if you are shooting from this angle.
when organizing those piles you have to think also about their color and texture, which one one to put where

Thank you for your comments: I'll keep them in mind for next time.

Best,
Jake



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The only thing I will add is that the raisin pile in the middle bottom is pushed up higher than the other two. I like the concept, keep shooting it.
 
The only thing I will add is that the raisin pile in the middle bottom is pushed up higher than the other two. I like the concept, keep shooting it.

Do you suggest they be more flattened out? Or just more uniform? Thanks!!

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The only thing I will add is that the raisin pile in the middle bottom is pushed up higher than the other two. I like the concept, keep shooting it.

Do you suggest they be more flattened out? Or just more uniform? Thanks!!

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the two rows with three items in each but the raisins are out of alignment with the other two items in the bottom row.
 
The only thing I will add is that the raisin pile in the middle bottom is pushed up higher than the other two. I like the concept, keep shooting it.

Do you suggest they be more flattened out? Or just more uniform? Thanks!!

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the two rows with three items in each but the raisins are out of alignment with the other two items in the bottom row.

Oh! I see what you mean, that makes more sense.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Odd numbers usually look more harmonious in still life shots. As to the lighting: I think it's approaching excellent. Love the way the textures show up so well!
 
Odd numbers usually look more harmonious in still life shots. As to the lighting: I think it's approaching excellent. Love the way the textures show up so well!

Thanks Derrel! I placed both flashes low to bring out the texture.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Odd numbers usually look more harmonious in still life shots. As to the lighting: I think it's approaching excellent. Love the way the textures show up so well!

Thanks Derrel! I placed both flashes low to bring out the texture.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES--the texture is really good. The slight highlights on the various dried fruits and nuts is really good. The texture of the cutting board really shows up well too. The lighting scheme you used did a great job of showing texture, and of defining the surface shapes on the food items. The amount of shadow fill is, I think, about perfect. The shadows give the piles some volume, some visual "weight", but are open and not inky black.
 
Odd numbers usually look more harmonious in still life shots. As to the lighting: I think it's approaching excellent. Love the way the textures show up so well!

Thanks Derrel! I placed both flashes low to bring out the texture.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES--the texture is really good. The slight highlights on the various dried fruits and nuts is really good. The texture of the cutting board really shows up well too. The lighting scheme you used did a great job of showing texture, and of defining the surface shapes on the food items. The amount of shadow fill is, I think, about perfect. The shadows give the piles some volume, some visual "weight", but are open and not inky black.

Maybe it's safe to say I'm finally learning something about using flash? Haha.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
But I also think the "vintage" processing helped in bringing out the shadows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom