Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here is a train shot for C&C.

Looking forward to hearing your views.

$Train on tracks - buildings trees and cranes in background - High contrast  BW.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if this might not be better in colour. The scene is nice, but I think it might be stronger as-shot. The only nit I'll offer is that I wish you'd composed with the tracks just a bit more frame right so the in-use track didn't end on the vertical, but rather on the horizontal foreground.

Hmmm... I wonder if this might not be better in colour. The scene is nice, but I think it might be stronger as-shot. The only nit I'll offer is that I wish you'd composed with the tracks just a bit more frame right so the in-use track didn't end on the vertical, but rather on the horizontal foreground.

Hi tirediron,

Thanks for the C&C.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference where the track ends (or in this case, really begins), but I'll play with it and see.
As far as the colour goes, here it is, let me know which you prefer.

$Train on tracks - buildings trees and cranes in background.jpg

I'm not a expert but I like it in B&W.

The most important thing in such a shot is to convey the sense of movement, the dynamics of a moving train. The exaggerated perspective helps a lot, that is why most photographers would stand besides the railway and shoot with a wide lense with the train looming. Here it was shot from the distance and looks like a miniature, almost a toy train.
Dominant lines of sight and diagonals need to work in unison to underline the dynamics of the shot. Here we have , in my view, unnecessary dominant contradicting verticals - cranes, that do not help.

I'd still like to see the train coming into the picture (More empty tracks on the left) rather than having the train almost leaving the picture. Unless thats what you wished to convey.

Also, this picture could have been made better with the use of a ND Grad i believe.

and while we're picking sides, i like the B&W better :)

Hi tirediron,

Thanks for the C&C.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference where the track ends (or in this case, really begins), but I'll play with it and see.

View attachment 75211
Okay... monochrome was the right call, the colour is a bit washed out looking. As for the tracks, these form a textbook-perfect leading line, and bringing them in from the edge of the foreground with the arc of the curve provides a great path for the eye to go right to the train.

I think the train needs more room to "move into". There is substantially more room, more frame,more visual weight, allotted to the area where the train "was". Overall, the composition doesn't feel very "right" to me. The large portion of the frame on the right hand side of the photo signifies that area being of greater importance than the left side, where the train is crowded into a single corner of the frame, and again, that does not seem quite "right" to me.

The most important thing in such a shot is to convey the sense of movement, the dynamics of a moving train. The exaggerated perspective helps a lot, that is why most photographers would stand besides the railway and shoot with a wide lense with the train looming. Here it was shot from the distance and looks like a miniature, almost a toy train.
Dominant lines of sight and diagonals need to work in unison to underline the dynamics of the shot. Here we have , in my view, unnecessary dominant contradicting verticals - cranes, that do not help.

Hi sashbar,

Thanks for the C&C. I hear what you're saying about the exaggerated perspective.
As far as the unnecessary dominant contradicting verticals, I hear you, but feel that a photo also has to tell a story, and the leading lines are all good and well, but I feel the cranes help the storyline here. Its the train going through the trees and nature, with man's footprint in the form of the tracks, train and the looming cranes in the background showing more of mans penetration into the forest.

I'd still like to see the train coming into the picture (More empty tracks on the left) rather than having the train almost leaving the picture. Unless thats what you wished to convey.

Also, this picture could have been made better with the use of a ND Grad i believe.

and while we're picking sides, i like the B&W better :)

Thanks for the C&C HitenNainaney,

I agree the train needed more room on the left. I was just too trigger happy, I guess. I'll look at my raw's and see if I had a slightly later shot.
I actually did use a 0.9 Tiffen grad filter. You should have seen the sky without it. Almost plain and bland.

B&W is the winner here for sure :mrgreen:

Hi tirediron,

Thanks for the C&C.

View attachment 75211
Okay... monochrome was the right call, the colour is a bit washed out looking. As for the tracks, these form a textbook-perfect leading line, and bringing them in from the edge of the foreground with the arc of the curve provides a great path for the eye to go right to the train.
Thanks tirediron.

I think the train needs more room to "move into". There is substantially more room, more frame,more visual weight, allotted to the area where the train "was". Overall, the composition doesn't feel very "right" to me. The large portion of the frame on the right hand side of the photo signifies that area being of greater importance than the left side, where the train is crowded into a single corner of the frame, and again, that does not seem quite "right" to me.

Thanks for the C&C Derrel.

Many moons ago we had a discussion about leading lines being more "natural" from left to right, or right to left. This may be a classical example of this. Here is the same photo flipped horizontally. What do you think, any difference now?

$Train on tracks - buildings trees and cranes in background - High contrast  BW right to left.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back