Transferring images question..

cepwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been directly connecting my camera to my computer in order to upload images. It's worked relatively well. However, I was watching the "Learn and Master" videos and the instructor advocates using a card reader ...ie. taking the memory card out and putting it in the reader and returning it to camera. He claims directly connecting puts unneeded stress on the camera. I do understand where it could stress the battery but pulling the card in and out of the camera would stress that mechanism as well. I'm wondering what others here do? What stress would the transfer put on anything other than the battery?

Thanks!

I never get my camera anywhere near my computer. I've heard of people knocking them off their desks, either pushing them directly or they/kids/pets snag the USB cable. Mine goes back in the pack when I pull the card out and the card goes to the reader.

I haven't plugged a camera into the computer in years (since I had a super cheap one that didn't have a memory card). It doesn't seem to hurt the camera at all to take the cards out. And I download at least every two days (I'm a mom, so there are lots of candid kid shots each day).

Removing and replacing the card burnishes the cards electrical contacts, keeping the contacts in better condition than they would be by constantly leaving the card in the cameras.

Of course for cameras that use a CF card, care must be used when re-inserting the card to avoid bending any of the pins at the bottom of the card slot.

A risk you take downloading directly from the camera is running out of battery power mid-transfer, corrupting the card, and possibly damaging the card controller.

good points by all. i would only add that if you copy straight from the camera, you have to wait till it's done before you can resume shooting. if you have several cards(as you should) you can tranfer from memory card via card reader, pop in another card and resume shooting.

I also have known people to have their cameras pulled off via the USB cord while it's sitting on the desk by knees / elbows / kids / pets.

I also have known people to have their cameras pulled off via the USB cord while it's sitting on the desk by knees / elbows / kids / pets.
Yes...this.

I almost sent a camera flying off a desk because I snagged the cable while getting up. I've been using a card reader ever since.

I just got a new computer and I'll be getting a USB 3.0 card reader....it should dramatically speed up the process of off loading memory cards (provided they are fast cards).

Yes...this.

I almost sent a camera flying off a desk because I snagged the cable while getting up. I've been using a card reader ever since.

I just got a new computer and I'll be getting a USB 3.0 card reader....it should dramatically speed up the process of off loading memory cards (provided they are fast cards).

I've never been a fan of built-in card readers. Given their high failure rate (read: they're all cheap-o's), I'd rather just get a stand-alone reader. THis way, when it fails, it's just a $10 bill to replace it and no need to try to find a reader that will replace a tower-based one.

My solution: A card reader, a steel mending plate from the hardware store, and some judiciously-torqued drywall screws:

CardReader2.jpg

My old machine has a built-in reader. one of the USB slots died, but the card slots have been working fine for 5 years.

I've been debating between an internal or external reader for my new machine.

One one hand, what I'd like, is a multi card reader with a couple USB 3.0 slots as well. That's not hard to find on an internal device, but I'm not seeing any that are external.
On the other hand, the way I've set up my desk, the case sits behind my monitors and accessing the front / reader won't be convenient.

And of course, I don't want to spend $60 on it.

I think what I might do, is get a USB 3.0 hub (machine only has two 3.0 ports) and then a separate card reader. They can both find a home somewhere on my desk. That will likely cost me $60, but it will give me additional 3.0 ports, which I think I'll use.

I recommend AFT internal media card readers, the make both USB 2.0 & 3.0 units. They are not cheap at around $55 each but both of them have worked flawlessly for me. The sell direct or you can find them on Newegg, Amazon and such. Atech Flash Technology
DSC00054.JPG

DSC00004%20%284%29.JPG

Years back, I discovered that removing the card from the camera and plugging it into a reader on the computer was much faster transfer. Of course, this was after a close call of nearly yanking my camera off the counter by the cable! My 60D uses SD cards, and I don't (yet) have a builtin reader for it. So, I bought a USB reader for it and simply plug it into a 3' cable attached to my USB hub. Works like a champ. I also bought an extra reader and threw it in my bag. I may be on the road somewhere and want to provide my pix to someone who doesn't have an SD slot available, either. I don't have a space problem as I have a pair of 32gb class 10 cards. So I should never run out of space.

The Reason for connecting the camera directly to the computer is for event photography where you need to print images immediately. You don't use raw and the transfer speed is almost instantly. The camera must be on a tripod and the computer (laptop) needs to be close with all cords securely anchored. Using the Canon capture you can see the images on a large screen immediatly.

Yes...this.

I've never been a fan of built-in card readers. Given their high failure rate (read: they're all cheap-o's), I'd rather just get a stand-alone reader. THis way, when it fails, it's just a $10 bill to replace it and no need to try to find a reader that will replace a tower-based one.

My solution: A card reader, a steel mending plate from the hardware store, and some judiciously-torqued drywall screws:

Sweet idea. I think I have my weekend project lined up since it is suppose to be raining for the next 5 days.

I've been directly connecting my camera to my computer in order to upload images. It's worked relatively well. However, I was watching the "Learn and Master" videos and the instructor advocates using a card reader ...ie. taking the memory card out and putting it in the reader and returning it to camera. He claims directly connecting puts unneeded stress on the camera. I do understand where it could stress the battery but pulling the card in and out of the camera would stress that mechanism as well. I'm wondering what others here do? What stress would the transfer put on anything other than the battery?

Thanks!
If you directly connect your camera to your laptop, virus could come into the internal memory of camera as well. so it is always better to read memory card through card reader only.

Most reactions

Back