Travel Photography

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone can help me? I've never been able to get consistent results when I am taking pictures of my family at a trip. Any settings or framing I should take note of?

The problem is your family are with you so you never have time to think about the shot, or are you just talking about holiday photoz

well dude for this, apart from enjoying the time with family, give some time for the shots as well.

I can get decent shots during the day. But at night... the horror. Need great depth of field? In low light? Need good shutter speed or else family moves... Equates to? High noise. What to do?

I can get decent shots during the day. But at night... the horror. Need great depth of field? In low light? Need good shutter speed or else family moves... Equates to? High noise. What to do?

Have them stand closer to a light source and use a shallower dof. Work with the limits and not against them.

There's only one solution that comes to mind: You must never again take your family on a trip. :)

well dude for this, apart from enjoying the time with family, give some time for the shots as well.

Well sometimes we get carried away with the trip and forgot to take some shots or when we try to get some good shots we can't get the right timing

There is a basic disconnect.
Shooting people and hand holding, you need a relatively fast shutter speed- and least 1/focal length and some cooperation from the people.
That means you need to get light in quickly , thus large aperture and no depth of field or high iso and thus more color noise.

If you don't use flash or other light source, you are up against natural obstacles that have no solution.

You can buy a very high end camera that shoots at a very high iso with less color noise or use a flash.

I believe that your nikon D5100 is a good low light camera. If you are struggling still it may be an ideas to buy a ttl flash. Yongnuo do a yn 465 relatively cheap. Manual set your camera to your requirements. For a few people maybe f5-5.6. Take a test shot at a speed lower or equal to your cameras sync speed and then set the speed again to allow your required ambient light in from around your people. Don't be afraid of pushing your iso a bit. A nice diffuse even self made can really help with the harsh light. Others can give better advice but you could try this for a start

Last edited:

outdoor will be tough even with a flash to get dof. but i guess its more nice with less dof in nights and the flash to work on the people standing. after all why we need a shot like day in the night?

It's kind of hard to make family members look good next to a Michelangelo painting/sculpting or the Sistine Chapel.

Most reactions

Back