Traveling to Europe... disappointed with Sony RX100

Which camera is best for no hassle European travel?

• X70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony RX100 III

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

muleonomics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to this site. I'm looking for some advice about getting a portable camera for an upcoming trip to Europe.

I'm not a person who shares their photos online or does photography as a profession, but I LOVE great photos. I frame them in my home, I appreciate them and enjoy them, etc.

To be blunt, I am just the kind of person with a lot of expendable income who wants the best product for taking photos of their own personal life. I own a Canon 5D MK III and various L series lenses, 50mm F1.2, 70-200 image stabilized... 85mm F1.2L, etc. I use Lightroom and Photoshop and I am not a luddite or newb, just not a professional.

I don't want to lug around my 5d MK III for an entire month in Europe visiting 6 countries.

So in preparation for my 1 month upcoming trip to europe (leisure not business), I am looking for a great pocket camera. I was hoping I could find something pocket-able that would give great images, but so far I have been disappointed with my first choice: Sony RX100 III

The Sony RX100 MKIII got such RAVE reviews online. I did hours of research and I found that many people ranted and raved about it. So I bought one, but I have done a lot of real world test shots and even edit the shots in Lightroom and I am not impressed. I would just as well have a $200 Canon Elph than this thing. I actually do have a Canon Elph, but that's something I have so my employees can take pictures of business related things (ie. not artistic quality anything).

I have decided that the Sony RX100 III has too small a sensor for my taste. The IQ just isn't impressing me. I get grainy low light shots. I have turned to looking at the Fujifilm cameras and I am looking at an X70 or X100T. The X70 is more pocketable, yet I am wondering if the image quality is going to be there for me.

Here are some things I am considering:

1) I don't care about a zoom lens. In a pocket camera that seems like something only a granny would worry about.
2) I really want something that will slip in my pocket, yet provide impressive photos.
3) I don't care about a viewfinder. I'm not Ansel Adams and I'll manage to frame the shot with the screen at arms length.

Will the X70 perform for me? Why is the Sony RX 100 III falling so short of expectations? Are the people online who are raving about it just total newbs who are used to camera phones?

Any thoughts are welcome, or suggestions of other cameras not considered.

Well, you learned the hard way not to trust other people's opinions blindly. Look online for sample images, perhaps rent a camera before buying it…

I also think you should upload one or two images here that you're disappointed with, complete with EXIF data intact. That could shed some more light on the problem you're having, and it may help me (and the rest) understand what you really need, or maybe if you're doing something wrong.

If I had disposable income I would be looking at the Leica Q or Sony RX1r.

you want DSLR quality in literal pocket size -- let me know when you find it.

Leica Q won't fit in pocket but won't get lifted either.

the problem is always going to be the size of the glass, especially if you want good glass -- and this effect worsens the large the sensor.

Wait, if you're willing to lug around the 5D3, why not buy the Hasselblad X1D-50c?

I used to be a pro and I have high expections for my own photos. I have a X100S and I love it. I wouldn't have a problem traveling solely with a X100T as my primary camera. Fuji also makes a screw in lens adapter which would turn the fixed 35mm into a 28mm. Fuji FX lenses are top-notch and at a minimum the equal to my L lenses. While the X100T is jacket pocketable, a camera as sexy as the X100T, you wouldn't want to tucked away.

Due to the extreme level of pick pockets at the tourist traps in Europe, I would be reluctant to pocket any camera. (While a camera can be replaced ... the memory card cannot.)

I used to be a pro and I have high expections for my own photos. I have a X100S and I love it. I wouldn't have a problem traveling solely with a X100T as my primary camera. Fuji also makes a screw in lens adapter which would turn the fixed 35mm into a 28mm. Fuji FX lenses are top-notch and at a minimum the equal to my L lenses. While the X100T is jacket pocketable, a camera as sexy as the X100T, you wouldn't want to tucked away.

Due to the extreme level of pick pockets at the tourist traps in Europe, I would be reluctant to pocket any camera. (While a camera can be replaced ... the memory card cannot.)
I want one

PS- Fuji sensors are not your typical Canon/Nikon Bayer tech sensors. They are unique and different resulting in a slightly different, somewhat film-esque renderings, (a trained eye can pick-up on the slight differences), with wonderful out of the camera JPEGS.

PS- Fuji sensors are not your typical Canon/Nikon Bayer tech sensors. They are unique and different resulting in a slightly different, somewhat film-esque renderings, (a trained eye can pick-up on the slight differences), with wonderful out of the camera JPEGS.

now I really want one, remind me to have the wife yell at you, it's all your fault and she's good at it.

I bought a Leica D-Lux Typ 109 earlier this year as a travel camera, it's not really pocketable but small enough to easily carry all day. Image quality is excellent. Check it out.

now I really want one, remind me to have the wife yell at you, it's all your fault and she's good at it.
LOL, to be honest I don't think I would want her to yell at me either ... But if it'll get you a Fuji ... I'll thank there with my hat in my hand and take the beating.

LOL, to be honest I don't think I would want her to yell at me either ... But if it'll get you a Fuji ... I'll thank there with my hat in my hand and take the beating.
She is good at spanking too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back