Travelling to India: does anyone have any experience there?

rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to India (Delhi) at the end of the week but have not been able to find any information via google in regards to photography in India; namely any issues or laws I might need to be aware of when going there. Thus was wondering if there's anyone here that might have some tips, experiences or suggestions related to photography there?

My dad manages a decently sized group of Indians working for IBM, I suppose I could get him to ask some of his workers how they feel about photography.

I've been to india quite a few times. Don't use your left hand for anything, especially handing someone something. Be very careful and pay attention crossing the street, a bus or auto rickshaw will hit you and keep going. Don't get upset if you get charged more as a foreigner or get presented a camera fee, its standard practice. Don't eat anything that isn't cooked and that includes yoghurt since its sometimes cut with water. If the temple door is closed- do not do not go inside. If they come past you carrying an idol, don't sit, stand up. Don't worry about camera laws, police don't really care and a handful of rupees goes very far, except in temples, try to be as respectful as possible. People are awesome, they will keep feeding you until you explode. You are suppose to protest more food and they keep feeding you. Be prepared to be barefoot at lots of places. Its very disrespectful to walk near any place holy or inside a home wearing shoes, to step on books, or point your feet at people. And above anything- avoid the monkeys like the plague. They will run up and rip things away from you. God help you if you feed them.

Good post, Morguefile. Glad that someone's had some first hand experience. When was the last time you were in India?

Morguefile: thanks that was a very helpful read...one question...how many rupees is a 'handful'? lol give or take.

Good post from Morguefile according to my limited experience. Never went there to work but I did go through on my way to Pakistan (don't go there with a US passport) and did a very little visiting. Every one was wonderful and welcoming but, from what I've seen, they can spot a tourist a hundred miles away :) And even Indians who live in the US (Indians from India that is) are recognized as "tourists" and are hustled for a few coins.

I'm going to India (Delhi) at the end of the week but have not been able to find any information via google in regards to photography in India; namely any issues or laws I might need to be aware of when going there. Thus was wondering if there's anyone here that might have some tips, experiences or suggestions related to photography there?

Hi RPM,

There are no such restrictions on public photography but i would advise to refrain from it as many a times people here do not like to photographed candid.

Also, if at any place cameras are not allowed it would be mentioned outside on a sign board or something. Yes, you will need to pay camera fees at some locations and it is usually in dollars for foreigners.

Rest i think morguefile has briefed it very well.

Anyway, don't be too cautions and enjoy your stay here.

I was last there two years ago, and morguefile's post is spot on. My experience (Chennai) was that most people actually enjoyed being photographed, but be prepared to 'thank' them for it. I found that anywhere from 20 - 80 Rupees was appropriate thanks depending on the individual. This was a 20 Rupee photograph. Here are a few more typical tourist shots...

indian people are great and love to be photographed. Careful as you might make way more friends then you can handle.

there seems to be a conflict between their desire to be photographed lol...

Thanks Ron. I'm not sure that it's lack of respect for their surroundings, but rather a case of too many people and nowhere to put things such as garbage. I suspect also that lack of education among the huge slum caste as to the effects of what they're doing.

Most reactions

Back