What's new

Tried Doctoring with limited success

imagesliveon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
212
Reaction score
54
Location
United Kingdom
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dug an old .jpg photo from last year which I took at Le Mans Classic in 2012.

I thought Id have a go at removing the car from the background. I tried this using the Burn tool to colour in around the car with black.

Surely there must be an easier way of doing is? And if there is what is the technique called?

Anyway here's my attempt. I am aware I cut the front bumper off and will avoid this next time.

Any suggestions or opinions/views welcome.

I also need to do something with the view through the windows... Any suggestions?


Classic Cars 2012 Le Mans by Simon Clarkson Photography, on Flickr

Kind Regards and thanks!
 
I see a, not in the best light 1956 Mecedes Benz Gullwing. I want to see all the car, dried, shiny, no ??? whatever through the rear windows or reflections of a building in the finish and chrome. This is one of the Holy Grails of the motoring world and thusly cannot be dealt with except in the most professional of photographic standards.

It doesn't work for me at any level. Oh, and it is called refined edge selection; it is an art in itself.
 
I agree with CB. At first I thought cool but then when I look at it I see all the reflections and think "Not so much!".
 
Was your plan to add in a background or just leave it like it is floating in space?
 
I thought Id have a go at removing the car from the background. I tried this using the Burn tool to colour in around the car with black.

Surely there must be an easier way of doing is? And if there is what is the technique called?

The absolute best book I've ever read or seen on selection and doing exactly what you want to do is Photoshop Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eismann. [Link is to UK Amazon.]
She deals with the concepts and the techniques of all kinds of selecting in a totally readable way.

Yes, it is expensive but totally worth it.
 
I use a Photoshop plug-in called "Fluid Mask" which helps greatly with the creation of masks for compositing. You still have to do a little fine tweaking, but in general, it gets about 98% of it right off the bat.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom