Trillinear Interpolation - my code somehow adds detail? i think

Pharrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, everyone, i'm new to the forums, and also new to photography, But I'm programmer at heart.
Mostly a game design programmer, and well I wrote an interesting piece of code inside of Unity3d, and it was for one of my games, but then i thought what if i could use it for photography?

So basically I wrote some code that uses Trillinear Image Filtering, anisotropic filtering, mip maps, and linear color, to load image data into a rendertexture. (a very high quality texture used in unity 3d that computes using a GPU) then scale the whole thing to 100 mega pixels, from its original image of 1080p. the resulting image, atleast to my own eyes has the same details as the original. but heres the kicker, the new image can zoom in further and get closer to the details, then its original can, when displayed in windows photo app. I would like to get some opinions. is it adding detail even if that detail is blurry? or how does it work i wonder? i'm looking for a photographer to tell me.

in the below photo, the left image is the 100 mega pixel version, zoomed in halfway to the same point that the original image of 30mp is zoomed in fully to. i realize my program affects lighting and color. its still in the works.
i would've uploaded the full image instead of only a preview
stretched pixel.png
but, after upscaling the image file size jumped from 6mb to 97mb.

thanks for any opinions given, in advance!

Last edited:
I see jaggies on the diagonals and lines of the right-side image...not terrible, yet still, there are jaggies. Basically, the image on the right looks not as good as the left side image does.

One comment about your post: the language is unclear. Not sure exactly what it is you are trying to convey.

thats odd. the right image is the original. The left Image is an upscaled image. resized from the original using unique programming code. the left one looks better you say?

Edit: i should mention, the right image was 6720x4480 image resolution.

the left image was upscaled using my code from 6720x4480 all the way to 11608x8708.

both images are using the zoom feature in windows to look at their detail at a certain point in the full image. and the full image is a scene with 3 large buildings

Last edited:
No wonder the left image looks smoother....it's a BIGGER image,shown down-sampled. There is nothinbg "odd" about it....you're showing us a HUGE image, down-sampled.

You are not actually showing us anything worth seeing unless you show the images at their native sizes...you are showing us a screen capture, and your system/software's resizing algorithm.

Your code "adds detail"? This image HAS almost NO detail to speak of, and nothing worth seeing in terms of high-frequency detail.

Perhaps try a high-resolution photo image of actual real-world subject matter. These big, coarse lines and no high-frequency detail makes this a very poor subject frame. You are UP-scaling an image, and adding a lot of what I call "junk information", and are THEN taking that BIG image, and shrinking it down, and then comparing the down-rezzed frame to a smaller image.

Not sure what the point of this exercise is...but thanks for posting.

ah, hang on ill upload the images to my server for download, http://techintelligence.org/orginal.png
http://techintelligence.org/upscaled.png

both images in their full size. one is upscaled using my algorithm, one is the original. the upscaled one is 90MB

I appreciate your help so far, thank you

mostly im just trying to figure out how good my algorithm is? and would photographers find it useful or not.

i think the way my program works is it. takes all that junk detail, and adds it to the very core of the image while preserving the original image "what we can see with our eyes". when i look at both photos, they look exactly the same to me, except the aspect ratio and resolutions are different. but im not a photographer so i cannot see the junk details. thats why i came here to ask someone with knowledge of photography, if they can tell me the differences between the upscaled one and the original one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back