Trip to the Apple Orchard

charlie76

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A day at the apple orchard with the fam...bright sun tried to ruin all my pictures. If anyone has any good methods for PP dealing with awful bright sun like this .......??

kids in tree at shelburn orchard.jpg

haylee in the apple tree at shelburn orchard.jpg

juliet at shelburn orchard 2.jpg

haylee and annie at shelburn orchard.jpg

Last edited:
Full of life there and great to see them having fun.

You could experiment with a polarising filter for the sun issue.

There are no tricks to dealing with wide dynamic range swings in PP. It's time consuming detailed work. Which is why I suggested managing the range before you take the shot in the other post

In addition to the suggestion of reflector or moving subject another option is HSS TTL. Using a flash capable of communicating with the camera makes life in the bright sun enjoyable. I never realized how much I was missing. I set the camera to AV letting the camera and flash decide how to manage the light.

Here's a quick example
butterfly-2.jpg

This was shot mid day, bright sun. AV, HSS, P-TTL, auto ISO. Camera chose ISO 100, manual setting on aperture to f/5.6, camera chose shutter speed of 1/400, and adjusted flash accordingly.

Looks like a good family time.....God Bless!

Maybe a very light tone-mapping?
50419967391_ae5a76efe9_b.jpg

Fun shots!

There are no tricks to dealing with wide dynamic range swings in PP. It's time consuming detailed work. Which is why I suggested managing the range before you take the shot in the other post

In addition to the suggestion of reflector or moving subject another option is HSS TTL. Using a flash capable of communicating with the camera makes life in the bright sun enjoyable. I never realized how much I was missing. I set the camera to AV letting the camera and flash decide how to manage the light.

Here's a quick example
View attachment 198347
This was shot mid day, bright sun. AV, HSS, P-TTL, auto ISO. Camera chose ISO 100, manual setting on aperture to f/5.6, camera chose shutter speed of 1/400, and adjusted flash accordingly.

Alright great, this is very encouraging. I like the flash idea. I’ve already looked into them after reading your other post. I never got into them back when I started out on photography, mostly due to the cost of experimenting using film. I remember buying an SB-26 speedlight, tried it a couple times with no good results. I didn’t feel great about spending money on film and developing just to get some poorly done flash pictures so I never learned. Thanks for the suggestions Smoke. Looks like a good Nikon flash is only a few hundred bucks

I found this quick tone-mapping app that does a pretty nice job. Because I like a very subtle touch, I usually tone-map single images, and then layer them with the original image to get a more realistic appearance. That's what I did here.
AutoHDR

I neglected to mention how good those images are just as you took them. These will be treasured by parents for many years to come.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back