Tripod and ball head

libeco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.libeco.nl
Somehwere before the summer really starts I would like to get myself a tripod which actually doesn't move in the wind like my current €40 Velbon tripod does. I will use it for different stuff like night photography (on my todo list for this summer) and other long shutterspeed pictures but I would like to try some macro in the future aswell.

By searching this forum I saw some Manfrotto and Giottos mentioned and here's some options I came up with.

Ball heads
http://www.touchdown-photo.nl/shop/...d=246&osCsid=46a54b4ce7f5be2ecf8ac51c5e607ec8
http://www.touchdown-photo.nl/shop/...d=245&osCsid=46a54b4ce7f5be2ecf8ac51c5e607ec8
I saw someone mention not to get a quick release-type of ball head. Why?

Tripod
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/product_details.php?id_product=36672
Just looked at the list on Giotto's site and figured this was the right tripod, but what's the difference in price between an aluminium and carbon tripod and what's the difference further besides weight (300 gram is not much if I compare both types)?

Could somebody guide me through a proces of buying a tripod and a ball head strong enough to support at least my 400D + 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM?

Basically I wouldn't mind spending a little more than those options together (about €129 + €68 = €197) as long as I'm sure I'll buy a good tripod and ball head which will not shake too easy.

THNX in advance!

I saw someone mention not to get a quick release-type of ball head. Why?
A quick release system (plate) allows you to mount and dismount the camera quickly and easily...which is a big advantage over screwing the camera directly to the head. I think most heads are quick release now anyway.

As far as Al vs Carbon...Carbon is lighter and stronger...but more expensive. It's up to you.

Could somebody guide me through a proces of buying a tripod and a ball head strong enough to support at least my 400D + 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM?
What is the combined weight of the camera and lens? Figure that out then check the rated capacity of the head.

Does that lens have a tripod collar? That would probably be better than mounting the camera to the head because that is a big heavy lens.

I bought a Benro C-227 carbon fiber tripod on eBay and I am very happy with it. The KS-1 ball head does not have any problems at all with my 400D and a 70-200mm lens.

I have the first link you have and it's plenty stable for heavy equipment. Instead of the spin handles though, you should check out the trigger option....way quicker and I think it runs about the same price.
Like Mike said, definately get the quick release. Sometimes when I'm doing formals, and want to do some closer stuff (I shoot primes alot), I'll grab the camera off the tripods, run over take a quick shot or two, and then come back to the tripod. :)

@ Big Mike
Stronger? In what way, won't break as fast as alu? Or the legs won't move as fast as alu?

I think my 400D is about 500g and the lens is about 1500g, add the tripod mount ring of, well I guess about 100g and the specs say it is enough. Just wondering if there're people with experience with these models or maybe just the brand.

@ Lars Leber
I couldn't find that particular model on some Dutch webstores, I did find out they're (good) copies of gitzo tripods.

@ elsaspet
What do you mean by trigger option? That pistol-like thing? If so I'll try to find a Dutch webstore which sales such things... :)

THNX all! I hope there's more people with experiences or advise...

I have the first link you have and it's plenty stable for heavy equipment. Instead of the spin handles though, you should check out the trigger option....way quicker and I think it runs about the same price.

If you go with the grip/trigger style head, make sure to check if it is rated for the weight of your equipment. They are typically less than most ball/pan heads. I personally prefer ball head with tension adjustment or plain o'pan style.

After doing some more research I've found a website which sells this at a fairly good price for me;
- Tripod Giottos MT 9261 (€117,25)
- Ball head Giottos MH 1302-655 (€100,25)

The specs for both look good for my camera + lens. I still wonder though what the benefit of carbon is besides weight and strength, which I don't think are worth spending an extra €200.

Would this be a good combination? any experiences with it? Would this ballhead do well on a gorillapod SLR-Zoom or should I get a smaller one for only on this 'gadget'?

I kind of chose for that last tripod but I am still in doubt whether to get the Manfrotto 486RC2 or the Giottos MH 1302-655. I hope someone can help me in this choice...

Finally the tripod and ball head arrived today. I bought the Giottos MT 9261 and Giottos MH 1302-655.

Although I didn't do any actual shooting with it yet since it only arrived today, I did notice the extreme difference with my cheap Velbon tripod. This tripod surely won't just shake from a little bit of wind!

Good buy so far!

Two extreemly popular models amoung photograhers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...322&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...380&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

My personal choice was the second one with a fiesol pan base inbetween the legs and the head.

I just got those legs myself. Previously I used a cheap Velbon when I wanted something I could carry around with me, and an old Velbon (from when they were actually solid and made of metal) when I needed stability, but lately started having trouble with the old one and ended up buying the Manfrotto 3021 (or 190 as it's called here). I know it's not the best but I can't justify buying the best; I shoot handheld more often, and if I don't want to carry a tripod around then I wouldn't want to carry a carbon-fibre tripod around either (it's just the fact of it being there rather than the weight that's the problem for me). Anyway I can see why this one's popular; easily solid enough for my uses (TLR and SLR including reasonably long lenses) but not very heavy. Went for the pistol grip but the one with the ball in the base - not as sturdy as others but I like the flexibility. Very happy with the combination so far, except that according to the spirit level my house isn't even ;)

A little update on my ballhead, today while twisting the handle to release the quick-releaseplate from the ballhead, the handle suddenly broke! I have it for a month and it's broken already! Right now I'm really angry, I'm paying €100 for something I think will be strong and it breaks while I didn't even had a chance yet to really test it on a trip somewhere, just some indoor shots and backyard pictures...

Anyway, let me warn you not to buy such a ball head!:grumpy:

As far as Al vs Carbon...Carbon is lighter and stronger...but more expensive. It's up to you.

True... but there are numerous Carbon fiber tripods that are just as heavy (maybe a tiny bit lighter ) than their Aluminum counterparts. Look at specs... don't assume. People don't realize that the bulk of the weight is not the tubing itself but the other parts (hinges locking mechs..etc). A carbon fiber tripod of similar design to an aluminum isn't going to be much lighter.... definitely not a few $hundred worth of lightness.

On the other hand... there are some others that imploy lighter designs with carbon fiber. Not many out there but definitely lighter... but expensive. (i'm thinking the Gitzo traveler).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back