What's new

Tripod and head ?

G79

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have eventually caved to the realization I need a tripod for my shaky hands and so whats a good recommendation. I would ideally like for it to be light weight and something I can take with me when I go outside hiking and not leave behind cuz its too heavy. I was not set on spending too much but Im thinking now after pouring hours online looking at reviews, it might be a good investment in the long run. So im shooting for 6-800$. Any recommendations ?
 
What kind of photography do you do and what sort of lenses are you using? That will help define the kind of tripod head that is best suited to your setup. Also with the rough budget you are looking at forget manfrotto (popular as they are) and head straight for Gitzo - have a poke around their carbonfibre line (whatever you go with for hiking carbonfibre is going to give you the lightest stable working set of legs, even if they will cost more).
 
What kind of photography do you do and what sort of lenses are you using? That will help define the kind of tripod head that is best suited to your setup. Also with the rough budget you are looking at forget manfrotto (popular as they are) and head straight for Gitzo - have a poke around their carbonfibre line (whatever you go with for hiking carbonfibre is going to give you the lightest stable working set of legs, even if they will cost more).
+1 :thumbup:
 
This is probably my 17-year-old brain trapped in a 25-year-old body talking here but I saw "tripod and head" and Sasha Grey came to mind.

You don't need something super expensive both of my tripods are aluminum Velbons from the days of 35mm and work great, plus double as weapons while I'm in the wilderness shooting. If you have the cash to plunk down and money isn't an issue spring for the carbon stuff but my Velbons work great. I've shot the equivalent of 450mm telephoto on them and my shots were clear.

The problem is if you buy one of those carbon tripods and it breaks, you're ****ed. The tripods I have, one of them was 10 dollars at a thrift shop, if they break, worst is I'm out 10 dollars and have to go home and fix it.

Sometimes what works and not what is shiny and pretty is what gets the job done. If you get something old school just check it out make sure everything works. The only repair I had to do to one of them was tighten a couple screws but that was it.

Unless you're shooting top shelf pro gear, no need to spend a fortune on a piece of metal, save your money for some good glass. :thumbup:
 
Um.... Carbon FIBER not FIBRE.... LOL anywho. Carbon fiber is much stronger than you think and I highly doubt you are going to break it unless you are doing something to break it. I had a Gitzo Monopod made out of "lava rock" I think is what it was... It was 105 and had 3 poles that screwed into the bast to act as a "light" tripod My point is this. It broke. The metal bent and the monopod was no good. Nothing is full proof but Carbon Fiber is among the best. The Fiber will not let you down I promise you that. No a cheaper one such as the one mentioned above might have its faults but hey who cares it is $49! LOL I wont complain about it no matter what and I will abuse the heck out of it like any other tripod I shoot with and I bet it will hold up!
 
I've raced bicycles for a long time and have seen nasty things happen to carbon fiber that is regularly abused.

Bet you who's selling that is from the other side of the pond they call it it "fibre" over there. :mrgreen:
 
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, you all have gone a long way to reduce my confusion around the subject matter. Thank you all again.
 
I've raced bicycles for a long time and have seen nasty things happen to carbon fiber that is regularly abused.

Bet you who's selling that is from the other side of the pond they call it it "fibre" over there. :mrgreen:


Key word..... ABUSED!!! I agree that it can break but your talking about something different. This is a tripod for goodness sake. It is not a bike your jumping off a cliff.
 
The problem is if you buy one of those carbon tripods and it breaks, you're ****ed. The tripods I have, one of them was 10 dollars at a thrift shop, if they break, worst is I'm out 10 dollars and have to go home and fix it.

You phone up Gitzo and order the replacement parts - unless it breaks under normal use conditions and then you can try for a warranty repair.

Unless you're shooting top shelf pro gear, no need to spend a fortune on a piece of metal, save your money for some good glass. :thumbup:

Careful there are also those who say that unless you're pro you shouldn't get pro end glass or bodies ;)
In the end it doesn't matter if your shooting for Vogue, Nat Geo or yourself - the point is that you have the gear that is to a quality you are happy with and that is within your budget. For some this is a £10 tripod and head and for some its a £1000 tripod and head. (heck if you want a shock the cheapest recommended tripods for video work start at somewhere around £600!). I've certainly never let the fact that "I'm not pro" hold me back in spending £1000s on camera gear and until such a time as I can't I'll most likely continue to spend as such - for some its cars - other boats - golf - trains - for me its cameras :mrgreen:
 
The problem is if you buy one of those carbon tripods and it breaks, you're ****ed. The tripods I have, one of them was 10 dollars at a thrift shop, if they break, worst is I'm out 10 dollars and have to go home and fix it.

You phone up Gitzo and order the replacement parts - unless it breaks under normal use conditions and then you can try for a warranty repair.


Sadly it was stolen before anything could be taken care of ......
 
What kind of photography do you do and what sort of lenses are you using? That will help define the kind of tripod head that is best suited to your setup. Also with the rough budget you are looking at forget manfrotto (popular as they are) and head straight for Gitzo - have a poke around their carbonfibre line (whatever you go with for hiking carbonfibre is going to give you the lightest stable working set of legs, even if they will cost more).


Agreed, I have a manfrotto and a Gitzo. The gitzo is a very nice tripod. The Manfrotto is decent, but if you have a larger budget, go for the Gitzo. Lots of good ball heads out there as well. Thats a little more of a personal choice compared to a good set of legs. (tripod)
 
Manfrotto for aluminum legs. Gitzo for composite fiber legs.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom