Tripod choices

The Feisol has been noted. Cheers.

But on the other hand, do you have a preference for the Gitzo?

To me yes, based on my needs when I bought. Manfrotto had nothing that came close in carbon fiber. The only other thing I considered at the time was a Berlebach tripod due to the weight I would put on it. Being made of ash they were very sturdy but too heavy for me for the same support.

Feisol was not around at the time and I have not been impressed with Giottos carbon fiber. Seems like every Giottos I looked at had one leg section that would slip a bit. Maybe they just needed disassembled and cleaned, I don't know.

I did have a long look at and Induro and was suitably impressed. Sturdy, light weight and nicely made. I'm not sure that their pricing is that far from Gitzo for the same features. I could be wrong on the pricing.

My one reservation with the Manfrotto carbon fiber is the lever locks for the legs. I love them on my aluminum models as they are quick to set up and quick to adjust. My reservation of them is with them on Carbon Fiber. An aluminum tube can take uneven forces around it's circumference, which the lever locks possibly do. I don't know that they don't provide even tension. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this could enlightnem me.

The twist locks push a full circle beveled shim down into the joining leg to lock it providing an even preasure. I'm no carbon fiber engineer, but one of the guys I work with also fishes on the Pro Bass circut. He is a world of knowlege on Carbon fiber, Boron, and other composits. He has indicated that too much uneven preasure can start to crack a composit tube. He had cracked a couple of $500 rods rendering them useless.

Thing about it though, I have not heard of any of those kinds of problems with Manfrotto carbon legs and lever locks. There seems to be a lot of users of Manfrotto carbon fiber so they have to be doing something right. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back