Tripod Grease/Lubricant and Cleaning

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just came back from shooting around the Southwest and my Mefoto Globetrotter CR tripod is full of sand and dust. I plan to disassemble each leg segment and do a deep clean, but had a few questions before I do it since this is my first time...

1) What is the easiest way to clean my tripod? I was thinking of using water, microfiber towel, and a toothbrush since my tripod can be disassembled and can unscrew each leg segment.

2) Since the leg segments are CR, I can use water? It won't cause any rust or damage the legs/threads?

3) After unscrewing each leg, I noticed there were some kind of grease/lubricant coated throughout the screw thread; I was wondering what grease/lubricant should I use if I wash it off when I clean my tripod? And where would I purchase that kind of grease/lubricant?

Thanks!

What does CR stand for?

The grease they put on it at the factory is likely white lithium grease, or similar. (Any auto parts store will have it.)

Soapy water, with a water rinse and towel dry is probably the best way to clean it. Then lube anything that needs it.

If there is any sand in the grease ( and there will be) you're going to need a solvent to remove the old grease along with the sand. Don't over-grease those threads when reassembling.

My guess is CR is a typo for CF, or carbon fiber also spelled carbon fibre. I'm not sure what the lube used in the leg lock mechanisms. But yeah, water, tooth brush, soft cloths...all sound good to me as far as tripod cleaning supplies. Ya' wanna' get sand out of mechanisms of all types. I also agree on a bit of soap. I clean my Bogen steel/aluminum tripod with HOT soapy water...a lot like cleaning a muzzle-loading rifle...VERY hot water will evaporate itself, due to the heat held in the metal inside of a long, round tube (like a rifle barrel that is open only at one end, or like...a metal tripod leg)...but CF does not retain heat, so super-hot water is not really a benefit. I've disassembled my CF tripod a couple times...the lubricant on the leg lock threads appears to be a very,very lightweight grease, at least on my tripod. I dunno...

Carbon Fiber (graphite) should be impervious to any common solvents, so I wouldn't worry about it too much - but soapy water is generally the best bet. It works, and unlike some solvents it won't leave a residue after you wash it off.

You'll want to avoid any abrasives if it's carbon fiber.

Thank you all, and my bad I mean CF (Carbon Fiber) not CR. What would be a good solvent to use to remove the old grease?>

Thank you all, and my bad I mean CF (Carbon Fiber) not CR. What would be a good solvent to use to remove the old grease?>
Acetone should get rid of it pretty easily without messing anything up.

edit
Acetone (and most other solvents) may melt some plastics... So if it has plastic knobs, mask them off or test them with a small amount before you go crazy with the solvents. ,,,Another reason to just stick with soapy water. Wash it like you would wash your car.

Last edited:
Use a dry lubricant.

May be just me but for a non-corroding metal I'd consider just a tad of white petroleum jelly instead of a high end grease.

Problem is that it will suck up grit like crazy.

First, I'd steer away from the OCD approach of total disassembly/sterilization unless it's necessary. I put my metal and CF Manfrottos in the shower if they're really muddy/dirty. Simply wiping off the old lube from threads is probably good enough. Since nothing here is up against intense heat/pressure/friction, a bit of plain old Vaseline on the threads will do.

BTW, I've never taken the legs apart on any of my tripods. A bath and drying always got rid of the dirt/mud/whatever.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back