What's new

Tripod Head Help

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
729
Reaction score
35
Location
State of Confusion.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade from my crappy but servicable tripod to a Manfrotto (I think, still researching). My question is, tilt pan head vs. ball head. Advantages/Disadvantages. I shoot indoors and outdoors equally. Any advice about which type of head to buy, and why, would be appreciated. Also seeing a lot of "micro fluid" heads. Really not even sure what they are.

Thanks in advance for any help.

J.:mrgreen:
 
I would say a ball head would be easier to use. For a head I would recommend the manfrotto 488 RC2 it is a ball head but you can also pan from left to right which is very convenient. GL
tj
 
Very happy with my Manfrotto 488RC2 on my 055XPROB legs. Easy to adjust and very stable.
 
I've had my 488RC2 two years - perfectly satisfied in every situation, every kind of normal or oddball shoot !
 
Thank you all for your input.....

J.:mrgreen:
 
I purchased a basic Manfrotto ball head 486RC2 and ended up returning it. It was probably my impatience, but I found it to be rather cumbersome to adjust.

I ended up replacing the 486RC2 with the Manfrotto 322RC2 because of all the great reviews. It's basically a ball head with a quick release handle.

Things to note...
-It's DOUBLE the price compared to the 486RC2, but I'm ok spending the extra money to save my sanity.
-It's big in size compared to the ball head (if size matters)
 
For my first tripod and head I got a 3 way panning....thinking it would be better for panoramas, which was my immediate interest. I figured a ball head would be better most other stuff. Well, unless you have a way of leveling everything, I was wrong on the panhead being better for panoramas. I would just assume have gotten a ball head to start with, because of how much work it is to get it level enough to just pan. That said, my next head will be a pistol grip ball head.
 
I purchased a basic Manfrotto ball head 486RC2 and ended up returning it. It was probably my impatience, but I found it to be rather cumbersome to adjust.

I ended up replacing the 486RC2 with the Manfrotto 322RC2 because of all the great reviews. It's basically a ball head with a quick release handle.

Things to note...
-It's DOUBLE the price compared to the 486RC2, but I'm ok spending the extra money to save my sanity.
-It's big in size compared to the ball head (if size matters)
Thanks all, been researching this for a long time now.
Ended up ordering the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and the Manfrotto 322RC2 Head.

Hope I didn't screw this one up!:confused:

Thanks again,

J.:mrgreen:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom