I need some accessories and some help...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by NancyMoranG, Mar 3, 2021.

1. NancyMoranG

NancyMoranG Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    @ntz good thought. I actually love the view finder! Am good about shutting it off if nothings happening etc.
    Am surprised it has lasted this long. There's no reason to risk it anymore, I will get another.

2. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is one reason why I said.
    You have to determine what the battery run time is for your camera/battery combination.​

Cameras are different. I recently used a D5600, and it's battery run time was much shorter than my D7200.
    Using LiveView is like my mirrorless, it SUCKS power.
    Instead of all weekend, my mirrorless cameras gives me from 2-1/2 to 4 hours of run time, depending on camera/battery and lens.​
    Again, YOU have to determine what the battery run time is for YOUR camera/battery combination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave Maciak

Dave Maciak No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Smart! Or, one of the smaller portable hard drives? What do you think?

4. ntz

ntz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

this is imho overkill .. I don't want to say it could never happen but let me be honest:

** I never experienced a failed SD card ... just never in 15+ years .. OK, I am farly not a PRO photographer who created daily a GBs of data but still it never happened
    ** I've experienced multiple time failed external drive, especially when taken out as backup drive .. drives don't like to be carried over in backpacks and so on

I am lucky that my main camera has 2 SD slots .. but anyway, if you're unhealthy paranoid about safety of your cards, I'd recommend

1) have several cards and rotate them during the day, if something terrible will happen, you're not going to loose your entire day ... however statistically this increases the chance that you will hit error - eg more cards being rotated

2) if there is something really important, backup that immediately to some other device (eg laptop with ssd drive or to external drive)

my experience is that I would not be taking out external portable hard drive and rely on it .. at least not mechanical .. SD card is significantly more durable than portable drive

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For me it was not about an electronic failure. This was a hardcore adventure in a heavily laden canoe in rough conditions. I wanted to make sure that if I lost the camera overboard or something else catastrophic happened I would at least have the hard earned shots. So I kept the phone I was backing up to in a separate place on the canoe. We were six hours of canoeing across 5 portages and then a 40 minute drive away from the nearest cell signal. And, I just like being disciplined about having a plan B. I suppose that is the pilot in me.

I have had only one card failure but I was at the cabin. Unfortunately I did not have a second card for the camera with me. So now, I am more vigilant about making sure I have spare cards in the bag, just in case.

Not to beat a dead horse but I normally pull files off the cameras with wi-fi or a cable. I've found that the process of removing a card and inserting it in a computer is a high risk procedure. Put it in the camera, and if you can, leave it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ntz

ntz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    that's interesting ... I have a computers with Linux and Mac OS and Nikon and Fujifilm cameras and never experienced issues when removing card from camera, inserting that into computer (directly to slot or via usb adapteur to macbook) and then back again to camera ... just in short never ... maybe I am lucky ..

I agree on that idea that you don't like manipulating with card too often .. I have 128GB cards mostly, but my workflow is as I wrote above ... I use cable for small transfers (typically 1 day sessions) and card removals from camera and inserts them elswhere for big transfers ... Also I am heavily deleting in camera and so on so basically I use all meaningful ways to abuse my SD cards - I am moving them physically between camera and various operating systems, I delete from them files in camera, I am moving them out and in back again and I never had a problem with loosing data on SD card .. just never

as pointed out above, maybe Nikon (95% of my photography experience, multiple digital cameras in past 15 years) is rock stable while dealing with cards, I don't know ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. NancyMoranG

Photos OK to edit
    Oh my, more stuff to contemplate!
    Thank you all for continued advice.
    Am going to order my stuff this week. I have been attending to family issues. Haven't even picked up the camera since December!

Nancy

8. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You and I live where people use their cameras different, and apparently we use our cameras differently.

I take odds with the statement that "a lot of people use LiveView."
    While some people will use LiveView on a dSLR, I would NOT say a LOT of people do.
    I have watched many parents taking pics of their kids at sporting events, and the vast majority will use the viewfinder, not the rear screen and LiveView, to shoot.
    The only ones that I saw using LiveView on their dSLR were those that were shooting video.

I have never used LiveView when using my dSLR on a tripod, I have always used the viewfinder.

That you use your camera different than I do is just different. So, as I said:
    You have to determine what the battery run time is for your camera/battery combination.​

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NancyMoranG

Photos OK to edit
    I love my viewfinder!
    I really struggle in bright daylight seeing the back screen or the view on the phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. photoflyer

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed. I used it when there is an unusual shooting position (the flip screen is part of the reason I got the 6D Mark II and not the 5D Mark IV) and for astrophotography. But for the vast majority of shots it is the viewfinder. Another reason is stability. Holding the camera forward so as to see live view in inherently less stable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DonaldC1961

DonaldC1961 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would like to second the suggestion of the Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripod and head, if needed. I use a RRS tripod, ball head BH-55, and monopod, amongst all the other stuff I GASed out on. Their tripods are carbon fiber, sturdy, and high quality. They are pricey for sure, but will be the last tripod you will need to purchase. Otherwise, Gitzo is a staple for outdoors, more affordable, carbon fiber and great.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. photoflyer

Photos OK to edit

Thank you for the suggestion but you realize you are contributing to my gear acquisition syndrome. I have an excellent vintage Manfroto tripod with a Bogen mount - built like tanks but also as heavy as a tank. The RRS sounds like a great replacement. What to do...hmmmm?

• Like Like x 1