I need some accessories and some help...

@ntz @Original katomi
THank you for those suggestions. Sounds like good advice and a new system I had not heard of.
My last few days have been reading/learning about what I need for laptop to do editing program. Geez.

that's the whole different story ... but good news is that you don't need to go spending fancy and you can use a very good opensource programs .. you can use them for $0 .. just to make a long story short, as an alternative to LightRoom you can use RawTherapee (or Darktable - I prefer RT) and instead of Photoshop you can use Gimp .. And that's it ..

My 10 yr old Ipad is not going to last much longer as far as being compatible with things.
My laptop is ?6-8 yrs old? My PSE 11 never quite ran efficiently and thought it was just poor internet quality. Now I realize the system wasn't a match!
Thanks all for the help/education!

Jealous of your extended time in GTNP! We've made it up the last two years and hope to do so again this year (had tossed around the idea of a winter trip but it didn't work out this year). You already have some great recommendations but I'll add my 2 cents:
- As far as post processing, I understand your conundrum as I recently upgraded my laptop primarily for that purpose. Unfortunately what you'll find in research is the more processing power and higher resolution screen the better for photo processing...neither comes cheaply. While the Adobe suite is certainly not free, for what you get out of the personal use creative cloud subscription, the $10/month is worth it in my opinion. That gets you basically any tool you'll need to take your photography wherever you want to go with it. More importantly, there are almost unlimited online tutorials on how to use these programs. I have no experience with the free competitors to LR/PS so I could be mistaken but I doubt they have near the amount of resources available to learn to use them.

- Other topics: gloves have been addressed already and you've spent time in the park so you likely have this covered; but I also use the fingerless with foldover mitt types for shooting in cold weather. (Mine are actually a fly-fishing brand but serve exactly the same purpose). For really cold nights mine have a pocket inside the cuff for a handwarmer, this combined with thin liner-gloves allow me to function and fiddle with camera settings down to single digits. And I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to cold hands and feet.
- Filters: I bought some Polar Pro filters last year and have been pretty happy with them. Not the cheapest nor most expensive but seem to have great build quality and I've used them quite a bit since purchase with no complaints. The CP helps out with many types of landscape photography and the ND filters are great for moving water.
- I'm biased as night photography is my favorite pursuit in this hobby, but anyone living IN the park for that long should give it a shot with those awesome conditions to work in. If that interests you a wide angle fast lens would be a great place to start if you don't have one already....then it comes down to more post processing learning :)

I have had my Nikon D7000 as my only digital camera since 2012 and bought it new from a camera store.
I like 'hands on' and talking to a person IN person. :)

I am heading back to Grand Tetons N. Park for late April- mid October, as hubby is willing to work so We can live IN the Park all season!
Decided to spend a few $$ and accessorize.
I have never owned any of these items, so any thoughts appreciated.

Found out a tripod is cold when carrying it in cold temps. :). So want 'stick protectors'.

LensCoat is probably your best bet and makes a bunch of variations. Not sure which would fit your application.

LensCoat

Haven't found the need for them yet. If so, I'd go straight to the closest Home Depot or similar. Look at water pipe insulation. Should find something to fit. A little duct or gorilla tape, and your good to go. Pretty sure it would would cost far less.

'Apron' /'stone bag' to attach to tripod to hold small items.

This is the one I use. Rocks, wood or your camera bag will hold the tripod in place. Doesn't take up much room and affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SB-...ocphy=9019550&hvtargid=pla-440794947549&psc=1

What do I use to view photos outside via my back led screen?

Unfortunately the D7000 doesn't work with Nikon's WU-1a wifi adapter. Look into one of these or similar. There are several others out there. It's an SD card with a wifi transmitter in it.

The Eye-Fi Mobi Card for Photographers

Gimbal for my 200-500 on a Manfrotto tripod.
Window support for lens/camera.
Believe it or not, I have survived with ONLY the original battery. 2nd? Have thought of upgrading camera, but maybe not now..

Definitely get more batteries. Especially in the cold. I have one or two in my pocket, warm and ready. Doesn't matter if you upgrade cameras or not, look into one of these type chargers. The USB can be used in a wall outlet, car charger or power bank.

https://www.amazon.com/FirstPower-E...n+d7000+battery+charger&qid=1615174096&sr=8-6

Looking at some soft edge filters. I have 1 that is ?2 stop?

I did landscape and wildlife last year. Long periods of standing or sitting in truck or driving to find animals. Temperatures from 20's to 80's And LOVED every minute of it...

Any additional items / thoughts appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Jomst-Rechar...&hvlocphy=2840&hvtargid=pla-970839359966&th=1

A couple of these will keep your hands warm and batteries topped off. Quite handy.

Nancy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When I get time, I am still sorting out things from when my wife died
I will try and post pics of the Tamrac system

The battery for my D7200 will last all weekend + Monday (no flash). If I don't easily get a full day of shooting, the battery has to be replaced.
You have to determine what the battery run time is for your camera/battery combination.
Then it depends on how long (days) you will be away from a charger. More days = more spare batteries.
Having a spare battery, is a good idea in any case.
Based on age, your original battery may be due to be replaced soon. Watch your run time.

If it is COLD, a recommendation that I read was to switch between two batteries. The 2nd battery kept in a battery case inside a pocket inside your jacket, where it is warm.

I don't know what tripod you have, but a carbon fiber tripod is nowhere near as COLD as an aluminum tripod. My aluminum tripod has gotten PAINFULLY cold to handle, and that was in nowhere near freezing temp.
Although with gloves, an aluminum tripod may be fine. Just make sure that you can work the controls with your glove on.

I second the recommendation for an Arca Swiss clamp on the tripod and an AS rail or L-bracket on the camera. I switched to AS because it is soooo much easier to use than trying to screw the tripod screw on the tripod into the camera. Especially on a COLD day, when your fingers lose feeling, and you have to work by sight.

I would also practice working your camera with gloves on, while at home.

The battery for my D7200 will last all weekend + Monday

if you're shooting with LiveView (like a lot of people do and like generally you do while using tripod) your battery will be consumed in couple of hours .. If I go out to the great outdoors and shoot there all the day long, I need *always* 3 batteries, 4th in my bag is spare .. I have only original Nikon batteries ..

@ntz good thought. I actually love the view finder! Am good about shutting it off if nothings happening etc.
Am surprised it has lasted this long. There's no reason to risk it anymore, I will get another.

The battery for my D7200 will last all weekend + Monday

if you're shooting with LiveView (like a lot of people do and like generally you do while using tripod) your battery will be consumed in couple of hours .. If I go out to the great outdoors and shoot there all the day long, I need *always* 3 batteries, 4th in my bag is spare .. I have only original Nikon batteries ..

That is one reason why I said.
You have to determine what the battery run time is for your camera/battery combination.​

Cameras are different. I recently used a D5600, and it's battery run time was much shorter than my D7200.
Using LiveView is like my mirrorless, it SUCKS power.
Instead of all weekend, my mirrorless cameras gives me from 2-1/2 to 4 hours of run time, depending on camera/battery and lens.​
Again, YOU have to determine what the battery run time is for YOUR camera/battery combination.

More mem cards mixed size 8,16,32,64,128

Good point. On my adventures in country I moved files to my phone on a daily basis just in case something happened to the cameras or the cards in them.
Smart! Or, one of the smaller portable hard drives? What do you think?

this is imho overkill .. I don't want to say it could never happen but let me be honest:

** I never experienced a failed SD card ... just never in 15+ years .. OK, I am farly not a PRO photographer who created daily a GBs of data but still it never happened
** I've experienced multiple time failed external drive, especially when taken out as backup drive .. drives don't like to be carried over in backpacks and so on

I am lucky that my main camera has 2 SD slots .. but anyway, if you're unhealthy paranoid about safety of your cards, I'd recommend

1) have several cards and rotate them during the day, if something terrible will happen, you're not going to loose your entire day ... however statistically this increases the chance that you will hit error - eg more cards being rotated

2) if there is something really important, backup that immediately to some other device (eg laptop with ssd drive or to external drive)

my experience is that I would not be taking out external portable hard drive and rely on it .. at least not mechanical .. SD card is significantly more durable than portable drive

** I never experienced a failed SD card

For me it was not about an electronic failure. This was a hardcore adventure in a heavily laden canoe in rough conditions. I wanted to make sure that if I lost the camera overboard or something else catastrophic happened I would at least have the hard earned shots. So I kept the phone I was backing up to in a separate place on the canoe. We were six hours of canoeing across 5 portages and then a 40 minute drive away from the nearest cell signal. And, I just like being disciplined about having a plan B. I suppose that is the pilot in me.

I have had only one card failure but I was at the cabin. Unfortunately I did not have a second card for the camera with me. So now, I am more vigilant about making sure I have spare cards in the bag, just in case.

Not to beat a dead horse but I normally pull files off the cameras with wi-fi or a cable. I've found that the process of removing a card and inserting it in a computer is a high risk procedure. Put it in the camera, and if you can, leave it.

I've found that the process of removing a card and inserting it in a computer is a high risk procedure. Put it in the camera, and if you can, leave it.

that's interesting ... I have a computers with Linux and Mac OS and Nikon and Fujifilm cameras and never experienced issues when removing card from camera, inserting that into computer (directly to slot or via usb adapteur to macbook) and then back again to camera ... just in short never ... maybe I am lucky ..

I agree on that idea that you don't like manipulating with card too often .. I have 128GB cards mostly, but my workflow is as I wrote above ... I use cable for small transfers (typically 1 day sessions) and card removals from camera and inserts them elswhere for big transfers ... Also I am heavily deleting in camera and so on so basically I use all meaningful ways to abuse my SD cards - I am moving them physically between camera and various operating systems, I delete from them files in camera, I am moving them out and in back again and I never had a problem with loosing data on SD card .. just never

as pointed out above, maybe Nikon (95% of my photography experience, multiple digital cameras in past 15 years) is rock stable while dealing with cards, I don't know ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back