What's new

Tripod Head Suggestions (the new Evil)

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
9
Location
Delaware
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have finally purchased a set of Bogen 3021 legs.
Now the head....

Since there are no stores near and I cannot actually test/touch one I am left to your suggestions. I am looking for something in the +/-$80 range that will handle my camera and current lens setup (possibly with the sb600 as well).

I am not really sure of the pro's/con's of the ballhead vs panhead so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again in advance!
 
What do you wish to shoot? People work is easy with a ballhead. Ballheads are FAST and simple to operate. Three-way heads are slower to operate. I prefer ballheads, just because I mostly use a tripod as a way to force me to slow down, to evaluate composition and to support a heavy camera/lens combo,and to control compoasition and to make sure the right spacing is used on compositions. SO, for me, a heavy-duty ballhead is my personal favorite. I have an OLD Bogen Heavy Duty Ballhead, probably discontinued now, and a newer Gitzo magnesium alloy head...I am currently using the Gitzo, which has much less "slop" than the old Bogen. Sorry, but I do not know any current model numbers, but I can say that ballheads are not as rock-solid as 3-way heads due to the slight bit of wiggle/vibration/movement that most of them can exhibit on the "neck" portion between the head and the camera plate.

The relatively "new" pistol-grip type ballheads seem rather toy-like to me...those look okay for really lightweight, casual uses, but not for serious uses. They look okay for use with lightweight camera/lens combos, but not with heavier setups.
 
I mainly shoot people but I definitely do not want to limit myself by choice of equipment.
 
For general use I prefer a ball head. For what you want to spend I would look at this ball head from Giottos. MH1001652 Giottos MH-1001 Pro Medium Ball Head with Independent Panning Lock and Built-in MH652 Quick Release - Supports 11 lbs

An similar featured manfrotto would be much more expensive. This supports 11 lbs of equipment. Not a lot but not bad for the average shooter. Has a QR system, independent panning release and a separate friction knob from the tension knob.

For a few dollars more this would support 18lbs of gear. MH1302655 Giottos MH-1302 Pro Series II Socket & Ball Head with MH-655 Quick Release System - Max Load: 18 Lbs.
 
The one drawback to both the manfrotto and Gitzo heads posted is the lack of a separate friction control knob on the Gitzo and the lack of a panning base on both the Gitzo and the Manfrotto. Both usefull features.

As for the 3 way head, I have a 3 way head but rarely use it. It is slow to adjust and not suited to general everyday use.
 
Given the choice of these 3 which would you pick over the other and why?

Manfrotto 804RC2
Manfrotto 406RC2
Manfrotto 322RC2
 
Given the choice of these 3 which would you pick over the other and why?

Manfrotto 804RC2
Manfrotto 406RC2
Manfrotto 322RC2


Personally I would probably not choose any of them as listed. I am not a big fan of the RC2 system. It is alright for general use with light to moderate weight gear with short to medium length lenses. The pros are the RC2 plates are easy to find anywhere and they are cheap. The cons are the fact that it is not as stable a QR system as I prefer. It also does not from my experience handle large lenses well. It is just too small with no way to adjust it in the clamp. Something that can be important when using something like a 70-200 with a collar even.

I use the Arca Swiss system. My Pan/Tilt head has been modified to accept the Arca-Swiss QR head as has my 322 head. My ball head of choice is the RRS BH-55. Far out of your price range.

I had the 488RC2 head, and still have it. It sits on a shelf gathering dust. I can add an Arca-Swiss QR to it but the head, like the 486RC2 head you listed does not have a separate friction control knob. Something I have found to be very useful.

Perhaps if you understood the different types of heads and their good points and bad points it would help. From a previous post of mine:

Maybe this will help on head choice:

Pan/Tilt: Pan tilt heads provide an infinite amount of positioning by virtue of the three separate axis of tilt available. Each axis it set independently of one another in a separate movement. Most pan/tilt heads will have 2-3 levers or knobs, one for each axis.

Pros:
Excellent for making small intricate adjustment on a stable platform.

Cons:
Bulky to carry around due to the extended levers, and slow to adjust since each axis must be adjusted independently.

Suggested Use:
Studio, portrait, static close-up/macro photography.

Ball Head:
Ball heads provide a near infinite amount of positioning similar to a pan/tilt head. Ball heads come in a variety of grades from the basic with one ball tension release for positioning and panning, to better ball heads with a separate panning release mechanism that does not affect the ball position. The best ball heads have separate ball lock knobs for changing position, ball friction knob to keep the camera from flopping around on a loosened ball and a separate panning knob to allow the upper part of the ball head to rotate with out changing the ball setting. Good ball heads will have short shafts extending from the ball to the camera plate for greater stability.

Pros:
Excellent for general photography. Compact, easy to carry around and very quick to adjust positions.

Cons:
Basic and ball heads with out a separate ball friction knob are tougher to make fine adjustments with. They also tend to have some ball creep when locking the ball head into position. A top quality ball head will usually resolve this issue and allow for finer adjustments with out creep.

Suggested Use:
All around general photography. Can be used in most situations that do not require very precise adjustments.

Handle Mounted Ball Head:
Handle mounted ball heads are ball heads with a handle grip release instead of a ball lock knob. Their range of adjustment is comparable to a standard ball head. Handle mounted ball heads support medium and small weight loads and are not designed for long glass or heavy gear.

Pros:
Very easy to adjust with a single hand in one quick motion.

Cons:
Bulky due to size, lighter maximum weight loads. Bulky to carry around. Vertical handle ball heads are less stable due to the height of the camera plate above the ball in comparison to horizontal handle ball heads. Usually lack a separate panning feature

Suggested Use:
Studio/Portrait work

Gear Heads:
Gear heads are precision adjustment heads on using a gear and knob system to change orientation. Their range of motion is less than most ball heads but very precise. They are usually two or three axis gear heads.

Pros:
Very precise adjustment possible with minimal difficulty.

Cons:
Very slow to adjust, limited adjustment range, heavy, and usually quite expensive.

Suggested Use:
Precision photography where miniscule amounts of adjustments are needed.

Gimbal Head:
Gimbal heads are specialty heads designed to take larger lenses with heavier loads. The usually have one or two vertical support arms and the lens rests on an extension from the arm(s). Range of motion with a Gimbal head is virtually unlimited. Gimbal heads by their nature are larger than other heads to support the weight of big glass.

Pros:
Excellent for large glass. Very quick to use as the controls can be left loose for fast movement.

Cons:
Bulky, heavy and expensive. They require larger sturdier legs to support the weight and are heavy carry around.

Suggested Use:
Nature photography or any time large glass is used and needs to be adjusted quickly.

The best suggestion I can give is to go to a camera shop in your area and try out the different types of heads and see which one YOU like the best. They all can and do work. Each has it's good points and bad points. The important thing is which style is the one you will feel most comfortable with. Personally if I could only have one head it would be a ball head, just not one of the cheaper manfrotto's for the reasons I have already listed. There are a lot of good head makers out there that can provide as good a head as the manfrotto you have listed with more features at a cost in your price range.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom