Tripod on International flight, carry on

MarinaB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear travelers,
Just this week I bought my first tripod and would like to take it on KLM flight in hand luggage.
We usually fly only with our small back packs, no check in. And on this flight check in is 60$.
If I have to check in my tripod, I do not take it with me.
It is a simple one, Kobra tech, aluminum& plastic, 2 kg weight.
What would you suggest?
Thank you!

last time i was on a plane they did not allow any tripods as carry on. it can be used as a weapon.

Dear travelers,
Just this week I bought my first tripod and would like to take it on KLM flight in hand luggage.
We usually fly only with our small back packs, no check in. And on this flight check in is 60$.
If I have to check in my tripod, I do not take it with me.
It is a simple one, Kobra tech, aluminum& plastic, 2 kg weight.
What would you suggest?
Thank you!
Marina, welcome to TPF.
I looked up your tripod, it looks to have a completely plastic head, I'd be afraid it might break during a trip.
I have an expensive Gitzo carbon and a Gitzo alloy. When I need to go really compact I use the Alloy tripod. It's heavier at 1.2 kg than my carbon pod but it folds to 13 inches which fits inside even my camera backpack it need be.
Maybe you should start looking for such a tripod. Even though its really old it's all Gitzo quality so will last you many more years.
It only goes to 56" tall with all extensions but I never need mine that high and it will easily handle a std. dslr with a 24-105 lens.
Here's the one I have. You can find them for about a $100 or so but it still needs a ball head. Good luck! SS

Marina, this may be too late--you may have taken your trip already. If so, my apologies. Here is my answer.

1. I've flown domestically and internationally a lot. As--to Moscow. To Vietnam. Korea. Various European destinations. I've never had a problem flying with a tripod. Now--the length could be a factor (my travel tripod will fit in my carryon luggage--it folds up so easily fits inside a messenger bag or a backpack). But tripods by themselves should not be an issue.

2. I suggest you leave that tripod at home. It might be useful as a walking stick. But the primary use for a tripod is to provide rock-solid stability for your camera. That Kobra won't. It's too flimsy.

3. I understand the need to have something to stabilize your camera. For selfies where you don't want an arm sticking out of the photo. Or that ancient church where you can't use flash inside. Or a long exposure of a sunset in the blue hour.

In which case, here are some options that aren't traditional tripods but they'll stabilize your camera. Here is a small travel tripod you could put on a table or rock or car. It's small, light, inexpensive but more stable then what you have now: Amazon.com : Zeadio Metal Mini Tripod, Max Load 20kg/44lb, Desktop Tabletop Stand Tripod, Fits for Smooth 4, Crane Plus, Crane 2, Osmo Mobile, Ronin-S, Vimble 2, Gimbal Handle Grip Stabilizer and All Cameras : Camera & Photo You could also get a gorillapod (great for wrapping around bannisters or tree trunks or light poles). A Platypod is probably more money than you want to spend but it's great and very flexible in how to use it. Finally, you could spend $150 and get a top-rated travel tripod (small--folds up, light-weight so not too heavy), and will fit in your backpack.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back