Tripod or Monopod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I was looking at tripods and monopods and I noticed that monopods are cheaper but i'm not exactly sure how they work though and stay up. If I am on the move and hiking and traveling a lot what would be best for me. I like the Manfrotto 681B Monopod. Let me know what you think thanks.

Monopods don't stay up. They have one (mono) leg.

Tripods and monopods isn't really an "either/or" type of thing. They both serve different purposes.

Well for quick traveling and on the go and can you explain the main purposes please thanks.

I would say both, if that was an option. If your on the go i think the Mono Pod would be slightly better because of the quick setup. Im not going to vote...

I prefer a tripod.
And thats why I voted tripod.

I can use a tripod as a monopod, or as a tripod.

But both have thier advantages....i really shouldnt say I prefer one or the other...I just use my tripod more.

What's the main advantage of a monopod sounds like i should get a tripod.

Well for quick traveling and on the go and can you explain the main purposes please thanks.
Yes, monopods are of limited use.

For quick traveling and on the go: when you want to use long shutter times and small apertures use a tripod. When you want to use large apertures and short shutter times use an monopod or handhold.

In other words if you are making images where the slightest camera movement will noticably and negatively impact the sharpness of your image........use a tripod. The lighter a good tripod is the more they cost. A really good lightweight tripod for backpacking is about $500.

If stability is not a huge issue use a monopod or handhold.

A good tripod will cost about $350. A tripod that will get you by will still cost near $200.

the only time I've used a monopod is in tight situations like sporting events where I've had to squish in the penalty box with players while shooting.
Otherwise, I use a tripod.

If I am on the move and hiking and traveling a lot what would be best for me.

For hiking, I would go with the monopod for mobility.

Ideally, I would have both (I do). If I could only choose one, it would be a tripod. I still voted monopod though. If you expect to be taking longer than 1 second exposures, a tripod would be a must. For general hiking, I think a monopod would be doable though.

Last edited:
If you expect to be taking loner than 1 second exposures, a tripod would be a must. .

i think a 1/30 exposure would be cutting very it close with a mono. especially if your gonna be hiking and out of breath

i think a 1/30 exposure would be cutting very it close with a mono. especially if your gonna be hiking and out of breath
I can shoot 1/30 w/out camera shake handheld so I don't see why that would be cutting it. Even 1/15 can be pretty stable.

I can shoot 1/30 w/out camera shake handheld so I don't see why that would be cutting it. Even 1/15 can be pretty stable.
haha maybe i just got really shaky hands! :p

but are you using a IS lens? (i dunno if thats what nikon calls it too)

While it's certainly not ideal, I too have often shot as slow as 1/30th hand-held.

I think I could make do with a monopod in less than one second exposures. A tripod would be better, no doubt - but I could do it with a monopod.

(No IS)

but are you using a IS lens? (i dunno if thats what nikon calls it too)

Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction?).

Last edited:
tripod but i would rather have both
clear.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back