Tripod problems

jrk459er

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am doing a photo project in a dimly lit museum. The problem is that they do not allow large tripods. The only railing in fromt of the exhibits are about two feet high, does anyone have any ideas?

There is no flash on my camera and there is also glass in the exhibits...I am taking photos of taxidermy animals for a portfolio.

monopod, IS lens, high ISO are going to be your choices. Depending on what you are shooting with noise may limit your ISO ability.

you said large tripods... do they allow small ones?

Combine higher ISO with a good monopod. How about straping the bottom of the monopod to the 2 foot high railing.

Most museums I've been to do not allow flash.

I've had considerable success in placing the camera lens, usually with a lens hood attached, directly against the protective glass and holding the camera firmly in place. Lengthy exposures pose no problem and so flash is not needed. This takes care of both reflections and camera shake at the same time. It may necessitate a lens change to a shorter or longer focal length, depending on the subject.

I've found that if I explain what I'd like to do to the guards, they don't have a problem with it at all. I've some lovely prints taken in the Anchorage Museum using this technique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back